4S screen freaked out today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by akkkmed, Nov 8, 2011.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

For the past week, my 4S has done some weird stuff.

1. When I received a new text with the Messages app already open, it would play the ringtone twice. It took a few restarts to fix this.

2. When I get a text and the phone is locked, instead of the screen turning on for a few seconds, it would turn on then off really quickly (split second.) This has happened a dozen or so times, all randomly.

3. When it's locked and I hit the lock or home button to turn the screen, sometimes it doesn't turn on. Other times it'll turn on then off quickly and I have to push it a few times to get it to stay on.

4. Now today...I got a text with it locked. The screen was really dim. I immediately checked the settings and auto-dim was off (like usual) and the brightness was halfway. I had to readjust the brightness for it to come back to normal. After I did that, the screen flickered on and off for 4-5 seconds. I really thought this was the end of my phone, it was that bad.

Since then, it's worked fine. Anyone else experience any of these issues? Common problem with the 4S?
    Thanks! :)

****EDIT: 30 seconds after I posted this, I got a text. Screen lit up for a split second and only half the ringtone played. I hit the button to turn the screen on and it's dim again!!!!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The first 3 sound familiar, bugs that will hopefully be fixed in 5.0.1.

The last one I've not seen mentioned here on MR.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My 4S has done none of these things. I would back up your device while you can and return it for a new one.

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I have had the backlight not come on a couple of times. I'll unlock the phone and it thinks I've got the brightness set at 0. If I relock and unlock, it's fine. I think it's happened twice since I got the phone (on launch day). The last time was Sunday. If it keeps doing it or it gets worse, I'll worry about it, but it seems like a software bug.

5. Coley macrumors member

This is definitely iOS 5's problem if you ask me. My 3GS started doing all of the above when I updated it to iOS 5. I'm counting on a fix in an update.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I've definitely experienced all of these problems on my 4S except for the 4th one.

7. iNipponRyan97 macrumors newbie

iNipponRyan97

1. The messages thing is weird, but you already did what I was going to recommend.

2. Happen a lot on my iPhone 4. It happens according to your phone, it's not that weird. Your phone's like that.

3. This happens a lot to me as well. Just press a few times.