4S screen issue: applecare vs. 10 September

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZuluDaddy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ZuluDaddy macrumors newbie

I have a patch, approximately 1cm x2mm, of yellowed pixels about mid-way up the left side of the screen on my 4S, which is still covered under applecare. Presumably, this would allow me to replace the phone for about $50 and receive another 4S in its stead.

While the issue is not that big a deal, with the new release imminent, and with some rumors of the 5C taking the place of the 4S, I'm wondering if I'd be smarter to wait for a couple of weeks and possibly receive a better phone in the exchange. I'm covered through November, so the new phones should be available within the allotted period.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on the matter?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As long as they have a 4S, you'll get a 4S. I suspect that you won't be getting a better phone in return. What you could do is get the next iPhone you want, do the warranty swap and sell that 4S for a lot more than you would get if you were selling a used phone.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think they'll give you a 5c/5s as a replacement for your 4s. They have plenty of refurbished models for support needs.

If you want to buy one (assuming you have a subsidy to use), then that's a different question.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That you think you'll get a 5/S as a replacement for your 4S? Never, ever going to happen, especially the same day the new phone drops. Either pay for it or wait and buy a new phone.

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

As the others have mentioned OP, you will get a 4S model only. Still too many of those available as a refurbish unit. Others have tried this to get a newer phone or different color and have mostly failed.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you bring in your 4S you will get a 4S in return. Not sure why you would think otherwise, OP.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Particularlly when the phone first comes out. Apple will want to make sure that new/renewing customers get the phone, and not use the product that will be in high demand for replacements.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Dream On buddy, read THIS THREAD, they gave this guy a 1st Generation phone for his repair. A 2007!

This 4 -> 5c replacement is only a rumor, and they mean marketing wise, meaning Apple wants you to buy a 5c if u can't afford a 5s, rather than have to fall back to a lesser, 2 generation ago, 4/s. BUT I submit the 4/s is going to be popular for a while longer despite its lack of 4G. Once bitten by metal and glass, u crazy want me to get a plastic phone? I go rob a bank before I go back to plastic! ;)

9. ZuluDaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Roger that...

Thanks for the knowledge and advice, all.