4s showing up in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLOND37, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

ok here goes.. have a 4s, MBP (the nov 2010 model?), and itunes.. everything all nice and updated..

i have wifi - itunes sync enabled so the 4s shows up in itunes.. BUT

when i connect it by USB itunes says to connect by USB if i wanna update phone's software.. i also dont get that screetchy connect sound.. but either way it shows the phone in the left hand side..

i have reinstalled itunes etc, powered all off and on,.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't get what your problem is. If the iPhone shows up and you can sync fine then there is nothing to worry about.

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

does everything get synced over wifi tho? particularly pix?

4. ras119 macrumors newbie

I don't understand the problem either, and if you sync over wifi then yes everything will get synced over wifi.

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh ok i thought pix dont sync? i dont mean pix i took i mean like pix i have in a folder on my MBP..

6. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Everything syncs over wifi just like it does while plugged in.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Photo Stream should be the only thing that syncs your photos across all your devices. iTunes wifi sync (I believe) does NOT sync photos over wifi. iCloud is what handles your photos. I started a thread trying to understand the differences between wifi sync, iCloud, and exactly what each does. No one could really give a definitive answer. And I believe the info you are getting is wrong.

I had my iCloud back ups ON and I had the camera roll included in that backup. I have a lot of pics so I used up my free 5gig and whenever I plugged in my phone at night I got a message saying I didn't have enough room to perform the back up and to either buy more storage or delete some things on my phone. So I started to investigate. On my mac in iPhoto there is a tab called "photo stream" where obviously all the photo stream photos were. It would hold 1000 pics and they would be there for 30 days...And I knew all that. What I also noticed was that for each month I had an event saved with that months photo stream photos. For example I have a "December 2011" folder that contains all of my photo stream photos from December. Even though I never moved them there or created the event. It just put them there. I have one for every month since I've turned on photo stream. So I said to myself "why do I need to have my camera roll backing up to iCloud if events are being created and saved in iPhoto" So I turned off the iCloud back up for my camera roll and now I have more then enough space to back up everything else. I left photo stream ON so I still have a back up of all my photos. I still don't really understand the point of it, but hey, whatever works. I also perform wifi syncs of my iPhone to iTunes. But I believe that doesn't transfer and photos anywhere. I think it just sync any new apps or music that you purchased since the last sync. I would love it if someone could explain this in detail to me because I really want to understand how everything works, but as of yet all I get is conflicting info.

8. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

You have to un-select that option in iTunes.