4S sleep / wake button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by touchman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. touchman macrumors member

Hi everyone, it's been a while, just got a 4s, it's a week old, it's a great phone and everything but i have noticed that the sleep / wake button is loose and rattles from side to side when the phone is shaken, i have done some research and found others online with the same thing, is this a common thing with the 4 /4s?, how many of you have this and is it worth being bothered about, i have owned iphones in the past never had a perfect one each has had little things, i take it the 4s is no exception?

Thanks

2. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

Its nothing to worry about, mines exactly the same at 2 weeks old. Its normal, i suppose its gotta have a bit of play. If its not affecting the phone its not worth worrying about, you only need to worry when it starts affecting day to day use.

3. touchman thread starter macrumors member

Cheers danburns, can you hear yours rattle when the phone is shaken from side to side?, glad i'm not alone here

Cheers

4. nathdogg macrumors regular

The sleep/wake button on my 4s is solid, no movement at all. Although my volume buttons have a very slight bit of play.

There's nothing to worry about though, as long as the button is still functioning as it should. I imagine most people will have at least one or another button that's slightly looser, as that's the nature of having moving parts.

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

My iPhone rattles when I tap it on the back or set it down on the table. But that's because of the camera on the back, and I'm fine with that, since it is zoom-able.

6. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't agree. I can buy a cheap as phone and all parts fit perfect. The tolerances are spot on. Yet with the super expensive iPhone it rattles like it belongs on a bargain store at a local market selling fake products and cheap Taiwanese goods.

Also noticed on a friends 4s that his sleep wake button is bigger in size. Still rattles but made me wonder if his button on mine would not rattle.

7. touchman thread starter macrumors member

Hi zxxv, yeah i see what your saying, i have owned £20 phones in the past and as you said there ok, so i take it your sleep button rattles also, do you have the 4 or 4s and has it always been that way?

8. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

4s
    Friends 4s is same. All buttons rattle.

9. nathdogg macrumors regular

I guess it comes down to how much it bothers you and if you can live with it or not

I mean if you swap it there is always the chance you will get one with a different and even worse problem.

Tbh I think the build quality of the iPhone is pretty good. Then again I come from a blackberry 9700, which felt like it was going to fall apart in my hand.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

DO any of you work and have a life or do you just sit around and look for thing to get OCD about with you phone. There are way more important things than a rattle when you vigorously shake your phone that works perfectly well, otherwise.

This phone must have cost what you consider to be an "arm and a leg" if you spend so much time worshiping it:p

11. Zxxv Suspended

Dude you don't have to sit staring over the phone to see it rattles. Just using it shows the buttons rattle. Using a 20 quid phone shows it doesn't rattle.

And this throwing round OCD is comical. OCD is a truly deliberating condition. Owning an iPhone that obviously rattles is no where near OCD. get a grip

12. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I had my phone for a week, none of the buttons rattle...

13. DanBurns91 macrumors regular

My thought process:

- See the thread -think i wonder if mine does - shakes and pokes button - notice mine does in fact rattle.

It doesn't mean sacrificing my job or life to find out that ;-)

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

May not to you but some of the others world is ending!:p

15. Zxxv Suspended

I think your mistaking disappointment with world ending.

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Are you positive it's the sleep/wake button making the rattling noise? The button should have a little bit of play, but it shouldn't rattle. The camera, however, doe, and that's normal.

17. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

On a semi-related note, who else thinks the power/lock button should be on the side instead? Am I the only one who feels it's awkward to reach up with my index finger to shut off the screen?

18. Zxxv Suspended

Like it on top. I like the way flipping and rotating feels using two hands. With one hand I just rotate till its held between fingers and thumb then just slight rotate reach to press. Mostly I use two hands to spin it and I'd hazard a guess a lot went into that feeling when designing.