4S stopped vibrating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ///M5, Dec 19, 2011.

1. ///M5 macrumors 6502

So after 2 months of owning the 64GB 4S; it stopped vibrating yesterday. Already restored with the latest build (406 is it?) and it still won't vibrate. I got this phone from Canada and I'm not there at the moment.

What do I do?

Vibration is turned on in settings btw. Also tried that iBrate app and no vibration what so ever.

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

the motor probably went (happened with my iPhone 4). they changed the motor and all is fine right now.

go to the Apple store and see if they will replace it.

3. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Call the support line? Take it to the nearest Apple store? Should be a simple warranty exchange. I'm not sure if they'll exchange a Canadian phone in (presumably) the US.

4. ///M5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers for the speedy replies.

I should've mentioned that I'm overseas now with no Apple stores.

This sucks. All of my phones are always silent with vibration - can't live without it.

5. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

6. ///M5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very funny. Now go away.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

8. wpotere Guest

Yes, that is my advice for a person that can't take it to a store and can't live without it. Did I realize he was still under warranty? Yep, because it is a 4S and they just came out but he is stuck and needs a solution, not someone to come on here and post an opinion and offer ZERO help.

What is your advice? Magic?

BTW, getting "mad" over my advice is just silly, grow up. :rolleyes:

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm sure he can manage to get by for half an hour.

When my home button went bad they just exchanged the phone. They don't actually fix your phone and give it back.

Yeah, you can't sync your media 'till you get home, but if you exchange the SIM card and restore from an iCloud backup the basic phone parts will be up and running in less than 30 minutes.

10. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Zero help is what you offered. Open your phone, void the warranty, buy the part that is covered under warranty and hope it goes back together and works. If you don't have experience in taking apart cell phones the 4s is not for the beginner. It's bad advice. You can justify it not being bad as long as you want, won't change it.

If you have Applecare they will overnight you a replacement. If you don't you can try the Apple store, I have heard varying degrees of success with Canadian bought i Phones. Best bet is to call Apple.

11. AndrewR23, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Not very good advice right now since OP hasn't tried calling Apple yet. Opening phone, voiding warranty, buying parts. Difficult to fix and one of the hardest iFixit manuals.

For the price of all the parts, maybe stripping the screws and stuff, OP could call Applecare and pay 30$ for a advanced replacement. Plus half the time Apple waives the 30$

Op, call Applecare and set everything up. Get a replacement via mail

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

sheesh, I didn't think the "fix it yourself" thing was *THAT* bad... I mean, sure the applecare route is much better but the OP said they don't have any apple stores in the country they are in and who knows if they'd have to ship internationally....

Good advice? Not necessarily. HORRIBLE, end of the world advice? Not really...

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Your right, its not horrible. At least he did offer some type of advice too.

That advice might be last resort advice if OP did not have a warranty either.

14. wpotere Guest

No Apple Store in his country so it is going to be a lot longer than a half hour.

No, zero help is what you offered. I gave him a solution, it may not be ideal but if he can't easily get to a store or call Apple (some people are not as lucky like you to have everything readily available for them) he could at least fix it and get it back to his liking. FYI, I have taken apart many iPhones to fix them and it is not that hard if you follow the guide and take your time. My current iPhone is one that was built from several "busted" phones and it works like new.

You also need to learn how to read and realize that he is NOT IN THE USA!

Yes, I assumed he has already tried this but as I mentioned above, he is not in the USA, so it may not be as easy as "calling Apple". It all depends on his location and what Apple can do for him.

If he is stuck and really wants to get it fixed then order the part and swap it out. Not that hard to do. :rolleyes:

15. ///M5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the replies. I called Apple US and they shipped me a new iPhone to a US address and I got it forwarded to me overseas. Once I get it I need to ship mine back to them. Shipping cost is going to be high especially with FedEx but I don't really mind paying that provided I got a new phone.

Cheers.