4S to 5 question - Restoring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dbs0026, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dbs0026 macrumors member

So I had google apps for my email, they host my domain for me. I restored from a 4s to a 5, in hopes of keeping the exchange active sync from google. Now all I get is cannot connect to server.

I am guessing that they won't allow you to change devices and keep the active sync working? Anyone else seen this before?

2. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think that's how it works now. Google doesn't let you setup Exchange accounts on new devices unless you pay for the service. You can still use your existing devices though.

3. dbs0026 thread starter macrumors member

I thought that was the case on a new device. I have restored my 4s when upgrading to IOS7, no issue on the exchange piece. But now going to a 5, looks like they cut it off.

While I like google, not sure if it's worth the $50/year for the paid version.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Google is not happy with just reading your emails and the emails of all who email you. They want you to pay $50 for the privilege!

5. dbs0026 thread starter macrumors member

They are more than welcome reading my emails, if I want to to something stupid I talk face to face :) Seriously though, google, M$, Apple....it's all heading down the same path. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not, all companies are on their way there.

Can always host at outlook.com, but it's M$, so you have to choose the lesser of two evils......M$ vs Google......

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

You might be ok with it but there are many of us who are not, thank God.