4S to 5 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJCP, Mar 13, 2013.

1. RJCP macrumors 6502

Hi guys.
    So, my mobile provider (EE) has a campaign ending in the end of April where they'll allow users with 3G contracts to switch to a 4G contract, handing in their old devices (the 4S qualifies) and getting a 4G one (the iPhone 5 included).
    I'll only have to pay the upfront cost of the phone (between 50 or 60£, depending on the monthly fee I choose).

I'm not entirely unhappy with the my 4S the way I was with the 3GS before I upgraded to the 4S, although the battery life of the 4S is, as many know, pretty crappy... I'm already on a replacement phone since the first one's battery went ballistic just 6 months into it.

I've read that the iPhone 5 has a much better battery life and also, my partner has one and he also confirms that.

I wanted to ask those of you who made the switch (especially those of you might have switched from an EE 3g contract to a 4G one) if this upgrade (handset and service)is worth it.

The other option will be to wait until the 5S is out to upgrade and that will mean paying the upfront cost of the handset as well although I can probably squeeze a free upgrade from Phones 4U (have managed to do so the last time).
    If I do the swap now, I know that I won't have to pay any early termination/early upgrade fee.

Let me know what you think about this.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Personally, for what sounds like a lowish fee, I would be tempted just the nerd in me.

You won't gain much though.

My girls has the 4S and I the 5. I would tweak your settings to fix the battery. The difference is marginal, 5-10% maybe. We both can go all day and into a next if we somehow forget to charge overnight.

5's camera is improved, but ever so marginally.

EE's 3G is technically 4G, they just refuse to conform to standard UN ITU naming standards. With their HSPA+ and 4S you should have low latency and 8-10 mbps speedtest. More than enough for a mobile handset streaming music, audio, email, etc.

With LTE depending on coverage, you should jump to 15-60mbps. But to what benefit? *shrug*

You'll also gain an awkwardly tall dimensioned handset and any accessories will no longer work.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I wouldn't recommend simply assuming that battery life is better on the 5. There are plenty of complaints regarding its battery life if you don't cherry pick data. My 4s's battery life is just fine and individual usage and conditions (coverage, etc) is greatly underestimated.

4. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

That os true. When I was working in Ireland, I had a 3 SIM card in it and the battery, under 3G, lasted for a good 2 days with the same usage I do in London. Once in London, and because of EE's constant background switching between the 2 networks that form it (Orange and TMob), I get half of that.
    In Portugal, TMN must have some serious background activity going on, because with their SIM, I'll have battery for half a day in 3G.

5. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I'd recommend waiting for the 5S, the 5 has been out there for some time now