4S to 5S Activation Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by papa8706, Oct 6, 2013.

1. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I know there have been some similar questions but none fully answered my question so bare with me. My 5S is coming in the mail tmw and I was wondering how the activation process works since they are different sims?

My phone is on a company plan so i don't have access to MyVerizon online (or last 4 of ss#) or the email they may send. Do I need any information from these sources to activate my phone or can I just call verizon?

My boss isn't very tech savy so it might be a little difficult to get that info so I'm just trying to be prepared so it doesn't turn into a headache

Thanks in advance

2. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

You should just be able to call Verizon and give them the MEID. The sim card in the 4S isn't used for service so it doesn't matter for anything.

3. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't know why it would be any different from activating your 4S.

5. papa8706 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've always activated at the store, never had to order one in the mail. Any time I have replaced a phone it was just a matter of swapping the sim cards and syncing the phone.

I know the sim cards aren't the same size in the 4S/5S so this is a new process for me. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the account information since its under the company so I just wanted to find out what I'm going to need to know before I leave work tomorrow to go home to activate it

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

usually the moment you turn on your new phone and follow the setup, it activates that sim and your old one is disconnected. Thats what happened to me when i upgraded from the 4 to the 4S.

for the 4S to the 5S i called because i bought a device only, so it wasn't tied to a contract/account.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I just activated my Verizon 5s directly on the device itself when I upgraded from the 4s. No SIM swap required. Keep in mind that the 4s isn't LTE and the SIM is really just for international use.