4S user - envy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tyler23, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm a 4s user, picked mine up in February. Feeling envious and really wanting the 5, even though its just a bigger screen and a little faster..definitely a victim if gadget envy (yes i realize it's ridiculous, and yes i love my 4s). My girlfriend will be getting a 5 and several friends have it as well.

Tried going in to explore picking up the 5 but of course it was completely out of stock.

Any other 4s users feeling a little jealous? Anyone have some advice for making it through and sitting tight for the 6? :p

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

Not at all. Next year we'll just get the best version of the iPhone 5...the 5S

3. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

No envy at all here. The 4s still ticks all the boxes for me, there is no lag in the operating system and the only thing that the iPhone 5 can do that the 4s can't is take pictures while shooting video. Actually, there's an app for that as well!
    So I'll hold out til the 5s..

4. MiniMi macrumors member

No envy here. Have the "4" not even the "S" and I'm fine with it.

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

No envy here, but that doesn't stop me admitting the 5 is a damn nice piece of kit.

Our phone does everything the 5 does, with the exception of the ability to shoot photos during video recording, and it's still a dual core CPU/GPU and an incredibly power smartphone. It's also worth remembering that the 4S was replaced within 12 months, whereas the 4 was replaced after 16 months so was on sale longer and was far older in relation to it's eventual successor.

iOS 6 is just as smooth on the 4S as it is on the 5, whereas the 4 suffers with stuttering/slow iOS UI animations throughout the operating system. You won't see too much difference between the likes of games on the 4S and 5 until six months down the line when developers begin pushing games with specific features that make the 5 version stand out.

I've no issues with the 4S, no envy, and wish those with the 5 the best using their new toy! :D I'll look forward to the now inevitable iPhone 5S when my upgrade becomes available.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm not envious.
    My 4S can do pretty much all of the things the iPhone 5 can do, but its in a smaller form factor - which I like.

7. GeekGuys macrumors regular

8. Sneakyfox macrumors regular

Sneakyfox

I have a 4S and was telling myself I would definitely NOT buy the 5 when it came out, because I still have a year left on my contract.

After watching Apple's keynote (Which subsequently has got me glassy eyed) I felt compelled to order a 5.

Still, Apple's glitz/glam marketing aside, the main reasons I'm getting it are:

- Faster. My 4S keeps lagging from time to time and it's annoying me quite a bit.
    - Better camera. Yes I know it's the same MP but the idea of having two f stops lower (I'm a photographer, this excites the inner nerd in me) as well as the panorama and other bits, it all ticks my boxes.
    - Admittedly I am 'that guy' who feels it necessary to have latest & greatest when it comes to smartphones (Or at least I have been 'that guy' since earning my own money over the last _ years since leaving school). As sad as it is to say, I get annoyed seeing people with 4's and don't appreciate them properly, especially broken-screen 4's and ones who treat their devices like crap. I am getting this as a statement-maker, that's the last reason.

Judge me if you want :p Haha, I'm not fussed, my ego needs stroking some times.

9. Dextux macrumors member

If getting the new iPhone 5 would not completely screw up my unlimited plan on Verizon without tons of limbo, I would already have it. The 4 is still plenty good for me. Runs much smoother after installing iOS 6. Most of the things that iPhone 5 can do, I can do on my new iPad.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

In all seriousness though, the 5 is a huge step up from the 4. The iPhone 4 is getting on a little bit now in terms of iOS features and performance.

11. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

No reason to be envious.

I've got the 4 and pre-ordered the 5 since my contract was up. If I had bought the 4S I would be fine keeping it.

I'm looking forward to next year to see whats in store with no plans on ditching the 5 (that I have coming).

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I think it's now clear that each iPhone model (ie: 4 or 5) is a two year model with the new design in the first year and with an S iteration coming in the second year with more powerful innards.

Although, other than sticking more RAM, a faster A*insert number* processor, and more megapixels into the cameras, there's not too much more I feel they can do that is "wow" enough for some.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nope. The new phone basically has 4G and a taller screen. I would likely be out of 4G range at least half the time I use it, and I have an iPad if I need a larger screen bad enough. The iOS upgrade gave me maps, better Siri and the nifty panoramic photo tool. The phone is a great upgrade if you have an iPhone 4 or earlier, but key things like the camera are mostly the same between 4S and 5.

14. bengtc macrumors regular

what kind of thread is this, is everyone a teenager that posts here???

15. m00min macrumors 6502

I'm quite happy sticking with my 4S. I might get the 5S next year (you know, the one where they'll tweak the paint job). The 4S had an updated antenna so it's reasonable to assume that any bugs will be fixed in the .5 update. In fact I'm so happy with my 4S that if it conked out tomorrow I'd go and buy another 4S to tide me over.

16. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Yeah pretty much!

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the major difference is LTE if you live in a good coverage area. That alone has made this phone one of the biggest upgrades for me personally. Also, the feel of the phone is truly incredible

18. iosuser macrumors 6502a

A little bit but not really ;)

I switched to the S3 a couple months ago from a 4S (please don't start). There are some things I missed from iOS, so I decided to look for a nice deal on a 4S from those upgrading :D I bought a mint month-old 4S from a local guy literally right after he took delivery of his 5, literally for half the price of what I sold my 4S for couple months prior :eek: So now I can switch between iOS and S3 whenever I please :)

I purposely arrived at the mall early so I can demo the 5 at the Apple store. It definitely is a very nice phone, much nicer in person than seeing the early leaked photos of the two-toned back. Everything's more snappy for sure. But I just knew the aluminum finish will not wear nicely, and I like to keep my stuff mint so I'm sticking to the 4S. The glass back surely will not survive the crazy drop test I've seen of the 5, but at least it won't scratch that easily (I'm just using the Apple bumper I kept), and greasy finger print can be tough to clean off metal.

That said, since Apple will likely keep the same design for two years, buying the 5 now one might have less of an 5S-envy than a 4S owner having 5-envy when it comes out in a year's time.

19. m00min macrumors 6502

I've been considering one of those, the thing that's stoping me is trying to find apps to replace the IOS ones. There is no OmniFocus or Reeder for Android :(

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And many iPhone 5 owners here will upgrade to that too.

21. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not at all a teenager, actually. Merely a man with a case of gadget envy..a ridiculous envy, admittedly. Very happy with my 4s, just enjoy the latest an greatest :)

22. andyx3x macrumors 65816

....and really update the camera.

This is the first version of the iPhone that I really have no desire to get. If the camera had made a huge leap, yes. But I'm more than happy to wait for next year.

23. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I have the 4S and my AT&T plan requires me to only purchase phones; full price. I don't know whether or not to spend $650 on a phone. The biggest reason I would is the new LTE feature. Other than that, the 4S is just as good.

Don't care much for the 4" screen.

24. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Although the OP doesn't paint a pretty picture, he also describes me to a "T".

And, I haven't been a teenager since the 70's. . .

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Envy? Jealous? Victim? No, no, and really no.

My decision not to buy is just that, a decision. Instead I would like to use the money I would spend there to continue to pay down student loans and my mortgage. The feeling of a new phone dies in a matter of days, the feeling of lower debt makes me happy every 2 weeks when I sit down and pay bills. Color me a boring ass adult because I am. I am certain others can buy and probably don't have debt and I am not saying that you're a child if you don't follow my lead; but I am saying that I've seen so many people in choose to pay for a new phone instead of paying for something that really matters.