4S user here - considering the iPhone 5 rather than the 5S. Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viperGTS, Sep 11, 2013.

1. viperGTS macrumors 65816

After some thought, I have started to seriously consider an iPhone 5 over the 5S. The major improvements are in speed, camera, and the fingerprint scanner, but honestly the only compelling feature to me is the A7.

I've been eBay surfing to look at some iPhone 5 deals, and i found a great seller that is selling an iPhone 5, with some decent wear (some chips), but the screen is in great condition, with "minor scratches." It also has warranty until june 2014! it also comes with a lightning cable. after taxes it comes out to almost $440. its 16GB and for my carrier.

Should i grab this deal while i still can?

also, this is extremely important to me, is the battery life of the iPhone 5 better than the 4S at all? i have found my battery life on it to be less than desirable, but i probably use it too much anyway :p

thanks guys! :)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm sticking with the 5 and skipping out on the 5S...You should be able to grab a good one a little cheaper now that we know the new specs. Like you say, apart from the A7, I'm not too worried that I'm missing out on a whole bunch of stuff...The camera upgrade is nice, but I have two proper cameras anyway.

3. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

How has the battery life on your 5 been?

Yeah, the A7 is nice and all, but most of the improvements the 5S brings to me as a 4S owner i get with the 5, lol. Thanks for your quick repsonse by the way. :)

4. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Funny I was just thinking about this too...

Really not sure the 5s is worth waiting for.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Very good. I use the phone a lot and have no complaints. On the boards those with the 4S are reporting sluggish response and reduced battery life but my fiancee still has a 4S so we'll see what happens there. I'm happy to skip this one and wait for the 6.

6. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Seriously just looking at it, not much different except the slightly better camera and gimmicky finger print sensor.

Also there's a point of diminishing return on processing speed...

----------

Will it be likely that the price of the 5 will go down after the 13th or the 20th?

7. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

We're not alone, I've seen this mentioned in a thread a couple of minutes ago. :p Do you have a 4S as well?

Sounds good! Im pretty sure my 4S would be faster with a restore but i feel it's time to upgrade!

8. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

I do and I really don't want to wait until Friday to get up at 4am and hope there's an iPhone 5s there.

9. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

I forgot about the no preorder :/ and the having-to-go-early deal...

10. Spacial macrumors 6502

A very smart move.

I'd wait at least two minor revs before installing iOS 7, as my past experience has proven that Apple makes excellent bug fixes to the first release of any OS.

I'm keeping my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 until a few months into iOS 7 usage by the public. For the very first time I'm not buying the newest iPhone, the 5S has nothing to offer me.

11. terzinator macrumors 6502

If you're not eligible for an upgrade from your carrier, then I'd wait. No way I'd spend $440 for a used chipped, scratched-up previous-model phone when a subsidized new one is $199. I'd wait for the subsidy on a new one from my carrier.

What's the problem with your 4S? Or are you just tired of it? Is it still under warranty? Do you have applecare+?

12. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Church! And I would like to add that if you gonna spend that type of money, why not buy it brand new and get the latest version? The 5S is better than the 5. $440 gets you a 64GB 5S.

13. viperGTS, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

I planned on keeping the phone on iOS 6 for a bit, so thanks you your advice. :)
    I'm on T-Mobile and I'm not sure if the 5S qualifies for the uncarrier deal. I planned on buying it outright anyway, and I found a 5 from the same seller in much better condition for $450 after taxes with everything else the same. So it's $450 vs $650 plus taxes for an A7, scanner, better camera, better battery. Not worth it to me.

There is nothing wrong with my 4S, but I want a bigger screen and it can definitely be faster. I also want a better battery. There is no warranty remaining.

$440 won't even get me a 16GB 5S off contract, should've mentioned the off contract situation. Sorry :p

14. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

So T-Mobile is offering the 5S for only $99 down. I'm probably just going to get that instead! Decisions, decisions...

15. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Good choice. I wouldn't buy someone else's hand me down when they are just trying to get you to finance their next new phone. Treat yourself and get yourself that new iPhone 5S. Live a little! :D

16. viperGTS thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, the plan from the very start was to treat myself to a new iPhone. :D