4S volume goes up by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattwolfmatt, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Occasionally, the volume on my 4S increases on its own, as if it thinks someone is pushing the volume up. At first I thought this was a case issue (even though I was using Apple's bumper case) but then, even with the case off, it was still happening.

I took a video of it, in case I need to prove it to some genius in the future. It occurs inconsistently. Here is the link to the video.

This makes using headphones impossible. It's also super annoying, trying to do something on the phone with that volume bar in the way.

Searching for a solution hasn't given me any answers. Anyone else having this issue? Is a trip to the Apple store my only solution? Thank you!

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I would think so. It sounds like the button may be sensing that it is compressed even when it is not. I have an old iPhone (2G) that does this with the power button (keeps popping up the slide to shut down screen).

3. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

4. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

my iphone 4 did this and they replaced it immediately at the genius bar.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Do I need Apple care, cuz I don't. I got the 4S release day.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No. This should be covered under your 12 month warranty, assuming the phone hasn;t been dropped, or damaged in any way.

7. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

No just take the phone back to the store and get a new one.

Other people have had this problem judging by the related video's that popped up after watching your one.

8. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I had this issue as well with my launch-day iPhone 4S. Got it swapped at the Genius Bar no problem.

Pro-tip: I found that just rubbing the + button will make the volume go up, this is how I demonstrated it to the Genius.

9. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Thanks all. Took it in last night; got a new iPhone. The genius opened up the phone and tried to clear off some "junk" he said is probably causing the sticking. This caused it to became even more sensitive, so I got a new one.

While I was waiting for him to do that, I had the unfortunate idea of listening to the "iPad basics" class. Wow that guy said about 10 things wrong.

My favorite: "See, the email program is connected to your address book program! It knows that this email is from Mark, and it puts Mark's picture up next to his name." The only problem was that the email was from David. Mark was there because it allows you to "Mark" the mail as unread or flagged. Yikes. I choose to walk away.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sometimes after I use Siri (lol) the keyboard click volume is VERY high but then goes back to normal.

11. gjb11 macrumors regular

Genius, huh? :D

12. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

That's because it momentarily goes to speakerphone.

13. Animalk macrumors 6502

Make sure its not the remote on your headphones misbehaving. I've had that happen to me. Replaced the headphones and all was good.

14. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Thanks all . . . the phone has been replaced at the Apple Store. It was a stuck button.