4S vs. 5 - How to decide?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pndmnd, Sep 13, 2013.

1. pndmnd macrumors newbie

I need to switch carriers ASAP (as in, this afternoon). Since I can't wait another week for the new iPhones to come out, and since I don't really care about having the latest gadget, I'm trying to decide between the 4S and the 5. The carrier is currently selling the 16GB 4S for $49, and the 16GB 5 for $99. I've looked at the spec differences, but since I'm not really a tech person a lot of that doesn't mean anything to me. What would be some advantages of one over the other (metal back vs. glass, 4G vs. 3G - will 4G drain my battery faster and will it use up more data?, etc.). Thanks for any insight you can offer!

2. dominion155 macrumors member

Depends on which you want - its not a HUGE upgrade. The 5 is obviously better, however the 4s is a great phone. I personally prefer the construction of the 4s, it feels more sturdy. Besides the Iphone 5 quality control has gone down - Ive gone through about 6 iphone 5s trying to find one that doesn't have a problem (Bad battery, bad buttons, scratches, etc...) I currently am using one that has a speck of dust under the screen, but the rest is perfect so I just put up with it.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you must buy one or the other today, I'd go for the 5. Seems a lot of apps and sites embedding ads are set up for the taller screen on the 5, limiting the usable screen real estate on the smaller screen 4/4S devices.

What I'd probably do in your shoes is go buy a 5 from an Apple store on the new carrier, then in a couple weeks go back and exchange it for a 5S.

4. donkeycrushr macrumors member

When using with Apple is there a restocking fee and what is timetable to take phone back?

I am in same predicament I need a phone ASAP, was planning on going to apple later on today to purchase i5.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

http://store.apple.com/us/help/returns_refund

As always, read the fine print and if in-store ask to see it in writing before committing to the purchase.

6. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I would go with the 5, the screen size alone is worth it

7. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

8. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

5. Larger screen, a little faster, lightning connector (though if you have an older iPad with the 30 pin, the 4s might be more convenient when swapping charging) but I think most important is the weight, the 5 is about 20-25% less.

9. sbddude macrumors 6502a

10. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have an iPad with the 30 pin (as well as my iPod classic which I will still use because the phone won't hold everything). With the lightning connector, can I still plug the cord into the same USB adaptor as my iPad, or would I have to schlep around two full chargers?

And thank you all! I still don't know what I'm going to go with, but you've given me some good things to think about.

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

No, the same wall charger works for both. Just 2 cords or a 30-pin to lightning adapter.

12. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I don't really mind taking two cords with me (they don't take up much space), as long as I can limit the number of wall chargers.

13. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I've had both. You definitely want the 5. Besides the other advantages already mentioned here, the 5 fared much better in 'drop' tests than the 4S (or the Galaxy S3/S4 for that matter).

14. pndmnd thread starter macrumors newbie

That might very be the deciding factor!

15. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I upgraded from 4S to 5 just today - mainly because I can get it on Three in the UK for an excellent price whilst they still have stock, a lot cheaper than the 5C, and with LTE included. Anyway, after about 3 hours of use, going back to the 4S and it already seems small, heavy and even slightly slow. And that's from somebody who has loved his 4S for 2 years!

16. mallom macrumors regular

Go with the 5. You won't regret it. Lighter, WAY faster, better camera, bigger screen and etc. Think about the power you will need to drive upcoming updates and iOSs.

:)

17. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Exact same for me, except I purchased my 5 last Sunday, and I'm in the US.

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

I would go with 5c. Early reviews indicate that it is stronger than 5 (more scratch and flex resistant), and you get longer battery life and more universal LTE antenna.

Regarding 4S vs 5/5c, 5/5c wins hands down. While 4 and 4S are arguably the best looking iPhones ever, 5/5c has larger screen, improved cellular reception, significantly faster (and 1GB RAM vs 512MB), better front-side camera (720p vs. 480p), 4G/LTE, 5GHz Wi-Fi, longer battery life (even with 4G/LTE), and Lightning connector (which if you mind buying new cables or adapter, is much more usable).

And I strongly suspect 5/5c are more future proof.

19. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Step #1. Buy the 5s for $199 on launch day at an apple store, get there early..

Step #2. After you get your phone, go to the back the line and wait around that area until you see no more tickets are being given out for the phones since they are now out.

Step #3. Announce casually to the 100+ people standing there that you are willing to sell the one you just bought for $750+ or whatever you pick. Chances are there will be quite a few people that are there to buy one full price anyway. They will get caught up in the moment and buy it...trust me :D

Step #4. Buy a 4s for $150-$300, or a 5 for $300-$350... There will be MANY PEOPLE wanting to unload there phones since they just bought one.. If not immediately give it a day or two and craigslist will be flooded with them.

Step #5. Enjoy your $100-$200 profit you made

20. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I just sold my 4s for a 5 and put ios7 GM on it...

GET the 5!

21. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Get the 5. The advantages with LTE alone are worth it. 3G and Edge & HSPA+ networks are bogged down.

I've had mine since January and I really like it. So glad I chose the 5 over the 4S. I was like you and had to choose one immediately (and of course didn't have the price jobs with an upcoming release).