Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrygregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hi there,
I recently got an iPhone 4S from Orange (UK) as part of my mobile phone contract upgrade.
I got the phone on 18th April 2012.

I recently checked my warranty status on the Apple site to discover that it was incorrect and was showing 10 November 2011 as the purchase date.

On the site, it allows you to sumbit a different date of purchase. I did this and attached a scanned copy of my delivery note from Orange. This contained the description of the phone, account details and most importantly, the date (18th April 2012).

Apple have just got back to me and their email explains:
"Your request was denied because the receipt does not reflect the original retail purchase.

Your product has the following date of purchase in our records: 11/10/2011"

What else do I have to do to prove to them that this was when I got the phone? It is very frustrating. I have used the warranty system before at work for macminis and iMacs, I just scan in my delivery note and they sort it out. I don't see what the problem is,

henrygregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
You need to send them an invoice with the serial number and purchase date. A delivery slip won't work unless all the info is present.

Hi, thanks for your message. I don't think that is possible as the phone was part of an upgrade so I only had to pay £49.99 for it. The delivery slip contains my account details, the purchase date but no serial number.

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
The only thing i can think of is the iPhone has already been automatically registered by Orange and sent out to some one as an upgrade and maybe they returned it to Orange as unwanted? And that's why Apple have a purchase date of 11/10/11.

It also could have been part of a batch that went out to a corporate company order and the surplus returned at a later date and it might have been registered from the serial number on the box but left unopened.

It will be better if you speak to someone as you can always get yourself across better than you can via email.

Just a thought?

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The only thing i can think of is the iPhone has already been automatically registered by Orange and sent out to some one as an upgrade and maybe they returned it to Orange as unwanted? And that's why Apple have a purchase date of 11/10/11.

It also could have been part of a batch that went out to a corporate company order and the surplus returned at a later date and it might have been registered from the serial number on the box but left unopened.

It will be better if you speak to someone as you can always get yourself across better than you can via email.

Just a thought?

Phone orange. There not allowed to sell a preowned device as new in the uk only a warrenty replacement can be used/referbed.

henrygregory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012

Just a thought?

Hmm, I guess that is possible. But how on earth do I resolve that?! I suppose I will need to get in touch with Orange and see what they can sort out. I wonder if its worth the bother as Orange are the wors company I have ever had to deal with with regards speaking to people who actually know what they are doing! Aghhhhhh!!
Thanks for your advice :)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
OP, was this a "brand new iphone purchase?"

Or was it a "refurbished iPhone 4S purchase"

This matters a lot.

Because if Apple UK is anything like Apple USA. Apple will only honor original warranty from first time activation on a phone that's resold as refurbished.

So if phone was originally purchased on 11/2011 and than returned and went into the refurbished pool of phones. And if you buy a refurbished phone from the carrier, Apple will only honor the original date of activation.

This is why I never buy a refurbished iPhone from ATT's website. Simply not worth the decrease warranty at this time period (iphone 4s has been available since october 2011).

So someone buying a refurbished ATT iPhone 4S from the carrier, really loses 7 months of warranty.

MOKHAN

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Call Apple. I did that for an iPod I purchased from the source. All they asked me to do was email them a receipt, so I did (it didn't even show a serial number). They had it resolved for me within 2 days.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Just a thought?

Bottom line. Did you buy the iPhone as a brand new iPhone? Or was it a refurbished iPhone?

We need to know that answer. Read ,y post above about how apple treats refurnished phones.

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
OP, was this a "brand new iphone purchase?"

Or was it a "refurbished iPhone 4S purchase"

This matters a lot.

Because if Apple UK is anything like Apple USA. Apple will only honor original warranty from first time activation on a phone that's resold as refurbished.

So if phone was originally purchased on 11/2011 and than returned and went into the refurbished pool of phones. And if you buy a refurbished phone from the carrier, Apple will only honor the original date of activation.

This is why I never buy a refurbished iPhone from ATT's website. Simply not worth the decrease warranty at this time period (iphone 4s has been available since october 2011).

So someone buying a refurbished ATT iPhone 4S from the carrier, really loses 7 months of warranty.

Wrong, i purchased two iPhone 4S's in March 2012 @ AT&T, they were refurbished. The original warranty date was started on September 2011 on one, and October 2011 on the other one. Sent a copy of the "packing list" to apple and they upgraded the warranty to start on my purchase date of March 1st 2012.

henrygregory, be sure to type out your issue when you submit the receipt to them.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Wrong, i purchased two iPhone 4S's in March 2012 @ AT&T, they were refurbished. The original warranty date was started on September 2011 on one, and October 2011 on the other one. Sent a copy of the "packing list" to apple and they upgraded the warranty to start on my purchase date of March 1st 2012.

henrygregory, be sure to type out your issue when you submit the receipt to them.

Apple was being courteous than. When I brought 2 refurb iphone 3G back in 2009 from ATT. I did send both faxes in with my order.

Apple did "reset" the warranty on one of the iPhone 3G.
But Apple refused to reset the warranty on the other iphone 3G.

It depends on who you get from Apple's warranty department.

Because ATT's website and contract specifically state all warranties have 90 days (or original manufactuers warranty) whichever is longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.