4s weird frame rates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevemiller, Mar 10, 2012.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65832

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I shot some video today using my 4S, non jail broken and the regular camera app. When I transferred later, i noticed the video files had a variety of nonstandard frame rates.

Does the iphone just record whatever it can muster rather than confirming to 29.97 or whatever?

I generally transcode to prores when editing video anyway, but I didn't realize you seem to need to resample the frame rate, too.

Anyone else finding this?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It appears to drop to 24 fps in low light conditions, presumably to give each frame a longer exposure time.

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 65832

ah, makes sense. although it still seems like there are weird issues...

for example, it reports 24.01 fps rather than 23.98 in quicktime, and i was finding even after transcoding it wasn't playing nicely in final cut. things would look one way in the timeline and then all the cuts would be messed up on export. forcing the transcode to standard rates seemed to fix the problem, but it sucks that it generates weird frame rates in the first place.

i know iPhone video isn't meant for production stuff, but sometimes you grab some fun footage when you're out and about, and it'd still be nice is if it was somewhat friendly for editing.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That I can't comment to, never having really tried to do any editing, but low light appears to be the reason for the dropped frame rate, whatever it actually is at.