4s with ISO 800 - Not bad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pdqgp, Nov 6, 2011.

1. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Just playing around with the family I took a couple of hand-held snapshots with the 4s just to see. No official testing done yet, but being a photographer with nearly 20 cameras from P&S to DSLR's I always like to play around.

I consider the results pretty darn good for a phone. ISO 800 in mixed lighting with low light levels to boot. 1/15th shutter using Camera + and it's stabilization feature which takes the shot when it feels the camera is steady enough. Must have been two glasses of wine that kept me from moving much :D

Here are some 1024 x 768 shots with 100% crops added for comparison. I use 1024's online for various reason, but these are also indicative of what a nice 4x6 would look like too. Noise in a print is actually lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So you can see the images without the crops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Nice dogs.. I think the iPhone 4s camera's biggest problem is a limited dynamic range (blown out fur on the white dog and what appear to be lost details in the dark spots on the same pic). IQ itself isn't bad.

3. pdqgp thread starter macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I agree 100%. Hopefully Apple will update the processing to fix things.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I agree. I tried taking pics and videos at a concert, and any time there was a black or dark background behind the band, it was impossible to get a picture of the people. They ended up being white or colored blobs of nothingness behind a dark black background.

A regular P&S camera did fine. I'm guessing if the iPhone had some sort of spot exposure capabilities, that might make it better.

5. Pheo macrumors regular

hold your finger down on the bit you want to AE lock, it'll lock in after a second or so.

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the HDR function helps a bit with that but I feel like it needs to capture a slightly wider range of exposures to compensate. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it blended 5 exposures instead of 3 even if it took longer.

Spot metering would be a great feature in Camera+. I wonder if there's any app that offers it (+ better HDR options).

7. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

That's why there are HDR apps out there like pro HDR and true HDR that produce great dynamic range photos. Try them and start getting some well balanced images.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'll check them out :)

9. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

which is best?

10. fc1956 macrumors newbie

Some pics

Sorry, wrong thread. :eek: :( :mad: :confused: :D :apple:

Some pics I recently took, and played around with.
    Enjoy,
    Frank

The picture of the seagull is unedited.
    Light switch edited with CameraBag
    Hot sauce and Up/Down with Poco
    if anyone has an English translation of the Poco text, please post a link to it, that would be useful...

Attached Files:

11. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I use ProHDR almost exclusively and get amazing stuff from the iPhone.

But, when you state the ISO of 800, is it possible to control the ISO?