4X Amount of Pixels = Fraction of Gaming Performance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Seraphx17, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Seraphx17 macrumors member

I love everything about the new iPhone 4 and its insanely high-res screen considering its size. However, even though they've also bumped the specs, I am worried that the 4x increase in resolution is gonna hinder game performance and thus put the graphical qualities of games at a standstill.

I mean anyone who is a PC gamer knows how much the performance of a game can drop - It's like the difference in performance of playing Crysis on 1600x1200 versus 800x600.

I'm curious to see what games will look like, but I have a bad feeling that this could make future iPhone 4 games look even worse graphically. Sure, everything will be crisper, but obviously there is a lot more to a game graphically than resolution.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You know how you play games on your computer..you can change the resolution? Problem solved.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

1. You're not playing Crysis on the iPhone. The games are optimized FOR the iPhone and its processors.

2. You're comparing 3G/3GS processing power and pairing it with the retina screen. We don't have the full specs of the iPhone 4 yet. We DO know it runs an A4 which is already significantly faster than the 3GS. It will probably also have a bumped up GPU as well, to handle the increased resolution and demands that come with it.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I am sure Apple will continue to give developers the option of running their apps at 480x320 with pixel doubling.

5. Seraphx17 thread starter macrumors member

But again, that's gonna result in crappy looking games. I mean look at pixel doubling on the iPad, it's terrible...

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Pixellation is an aberration that happens when you increase the physical size of the displayed image. The new iPhone has the same screen size, therefore no pixellation.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Exactly. A pixel-doubled image on the iPhone 4 will have the same quality as a native app on the 3GS. Probably better because of the higher contrast, less light scatter, and better color reproduction of the IPS display.