5.0.1 Traffic works differently?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starstreak, Nov 15, 2011.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

Maybe I didn't notice this before but now since updating the iphone4s, I noticed that if I'm in my car and check the iphone4s, the little arrow for location services is on for traffic. But I don't have google maps open or running in background. And it seems to turn on only while in the car and when I have the phone charging. If the phone isn't plugged in, I don't see the location services on.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, what is the traffic service supposed to do?
    Send back traffic info to google maps for other drivers? Sounds like a waste of battery to me.

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Actually, yes.

You can specifically turn it off: Settings > Location Services > System Services > Traffic

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks, I just turned it off.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

It's not a waste of battery. OP said its only active if the phone is charging.

6. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I have all but the first turned off. Check out the section on location: http://gizmodo.com/5854933/how-to-save-your-iphone-4s-crappy-battery

I did notice that with the 4S, the purple arrow was on frequently, even after I had closed all apps in the multitasking bar. Then it stopped after these adjustments.

7. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

this was active on 5.0 as well

i tested it out and it is only active when plugged into a car charger. so i left it alone. since it won't hurt battery and will help traffic data be more accurate

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not questioning that for argument sake, but rather so I can read up on it. That said, would you point us to where that is documented?

9. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

While I have noticed this as well (and I am still on 5.0), it doesn't seem to be too bad. The one that is horrible for me however is the "Compass calibration" one. When I had that one enabled, it would turn on my location services for over an hour at a time! This was without compass or maps or anything else open that required location information by the way. I have since disabled this.

10. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If I'm not mistaken, it's documented in the original post. I know I've been in a car plenty of times with the traffic setting on and I don't see the location icon on when sitting on the home screen...

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I'm curious too (curious in the "Fascinated by technology" sense, not in the "Tin foil hat" sense) so did some looking.

According to this FAQ: "Apple is now collecting anonymous traffic data to build a crowd-sourced traffic database with the goal of providing iPhone users an improved traffic service in the next couple of years."

Also this support article states: "if you are traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple, to be used for building up a crowd-sourced road traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple does not personally identify you."

I haven't found any "official" statement on the traffic shaping data only operating on external power, but a few other forum posts indicating that this seems to be the case - i.e. the location arrow popping up while on external power, and checking in the location services screen it is the traffic function that is activated.