Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeachswithApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to restore my iPhone to 5.1.1, which it is in. I want to sell the phone but erase the data and keep it jailbroken. I don't mind jailbreaking again but I at least need the phone on factory 5.1.1.

I've tried the following:
- Erase all content on the phone.
- Backed up SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella
- Downloaded ipsw and stitched it with my blobs.
- Used Redmond Pie to Pwnd DFU (NOT AVAILABLE for the 4s)
- Used the Redmond Pie Restore function (Didn't work)

HELP! lol I am supposed to sell this phone soon!

Will doing "Find my iPHone" erase data work differently than my doing it?

TeachswithApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I have a restore ipsw.

i have a restore ipsw. I can use iWipe to erase everything, but can I just log out of my apple ID?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
i have a restore ipsw. I can use iWipe to erase everything, but can I just log out of my apple ID?

I believe there will be a way to restore back to 5.1.1 pretty soon, we just need a redsnow upgrade.
You have to be JB on 5.1.1 to restore to the same JB 5.1.1
Dont use iwipe with icloud or anything like that.
One mistake and you're stuck with 6.0
Once you do that there's no turning back to 5.1.1 even if you have blobs or an ipsw with your shsh's on a 4S.
Its way more complicated than an iphone 4.

From the dev teams site:

4S owners will always be able to RE-restore the current 5.x OS that’s already on their device. So if you’re at 5.1.1 when the window closes (and you’ve saved your blobs), you’ll always be able to RE-restore to 5.1.1 again. This makes the 5.1.1 jailbreak a lot less fragile — you don’t have to worry about messing up your install with funky extensions or getting into a boot loop, because you can always RE-restore from 5.1.1 to 5.1.1 again (or from 5.0.1 to 5.0.1 again, etc). But once you fall off the 5.x train by restoring to 6.x, you’ll be stuck there until the next jailbreak.

Please be aware that RE-restores and iPad2 downgraded devices will always end up with the latest baseband (not the one that came with that firmware). So don’t go near any of this if your unlock depends on the baseband version.

All of these features will be released shortly in a new version of redsn0w. In the meantime please be sure you have your 5.1.1 blobs and stay at 5.1.1. Happy iOS6 day!

Last edited:

TeachswithApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks

I've been doing research on this. If anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate it. I know it's much more complicated than on the 4.

TeachswithApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
DAMN!Ok Thanks for the bad news.... Is there anything I can do to remove my apple ID at least? I want to sell this phone.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
"But once you fall off the 5.x train by restoring to 6.x, you’ll be stuck there until the next jailbreak."

I had some major crash on my ipad 3, and I have been having permissions issues with my macbook, so I was basically forced into upgrading to ios6.

Since Jailbreak information is haphazard and different on every site you see, I assumed I could just roll back with my blobs once I got my ipad working again.

Then I read the above on the dev tem blog, which will be my new first place to look.

But my question is does it mean that once their is an ios6 jailbreak for a5 devices, might i be possible for me to roll back to 5.1.1?

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Why can't you just do a General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings and be done with it? That's basically the same as a full restore/wipe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.