5.1 *NOT* fixing battery life ... Will restoring help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eroxx, Mar 15, 2012.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

My battery life has been consistently horrible with 5.0 and now 5.1 ... If my phone is on 10% when I go to sleep, it is dead by the time I wake up in the morning.

Anyone have an idea if restoring might help? I hate to do it except last resort, but if it may work I certainly will ... Thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I charge my 4 up every night and battery life is great on 5.10

3. white4s macrumors 65816

5 hours usage is about all i get now. at first i got 6 hours, idk how some people are getting 10-12 hours usage, theyre lucky

4. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

My battery life is pityful on 5.1, it wasn't the greatest on 5.01 either so I was one of the hopefuls that 5.1 would make it better. I have tried all tricks to try and get good battery life, reset network settings, turned off ping, and restored as new. NOTHING worked. However, since the 5.1 release I noticed that I didn't update iTunes, so I updated iTunes and and new drivers were installed I see, so I am restoring again hoping that made a difference. No clue if it'll make a difference or not, but worth a shot. :)

5. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My battery is considerably better but probably not because of 5.1. I have reset my settings to default, and left them like that (meaning brightness, etc). Am at 5 hours usage, 13 hours standby right now.

6. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

Mine is MUCH better. When I first updated OTA, my battery life was worse, even after 3 or 4 recharges from 50 - 70%. Then I let battery drain to just under 10% and then did a full recharge - only then did my battery life get better.
    VERY pleased with battery life now.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you go to sleep with your battery down to 10% you should expect it to be dead in the am.

It is not that there is something wrong with the battery, it is YOU!:rolleyes:

8. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

^^ this. Honestly I think a lot of the poor battery life issues are related to settings within the phone and how you set it up for the days use.

I am now easily getting 7-8 hrs of full time use in all kinds of ways in addition to 16+ hrs of standby time. I wake up at 5am, phone is off the charger and doesn't go back until 11pm or so at night. I keep my notifications to a minimum and email is manually checked on all my accounts, brightness at 50% and I don't use cloud at all. No need in my day to use it.

Your mileage will vary.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I find that I CAN use all the bells and whistles like Apple intended.

BUT, Apple also intended us to charge our phones! No better time while you are sleeping!:D

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

^^this!!!

I don't know why people have a problem charging when sleeping....are they sleep gaming?

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

hahaha, glad someone said it.

Besides if its at 10%, even with "good" battery life it would be less than 10% when you woke up meaning you would have to charge it as soon as you wake up....

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Maybe with out warning they find someone "willing" to sleep with rather than go home! As the chargers do not fit in a guys wallet, he should keep one in the glove!

Guess I am old fashioned!:p

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I don't understand why people just don't turn the phone off completely when they sleep? Why leave it on anyway?

14. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

well i use mine for an alarm in the morning, so it needs to be on. But i stick it on the charger every night.

15. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

People use iPhone as an alarm clock. A switched off iPhone will ignore the alarm.

Nokia phones were good in this regard - you could have the phone off and any alarm would still activate.

To minimize battery life while sleeping - put the phone into Airplane mode.. all WIFI and cellular connectivity is off thus saving quite a lot of battery life. If your iphone still loses close to double digit battery life then there's something wrong with the phone.

16. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

iPhone owners like us should only engage in these types of "activities" with other iPhone owners. To do otherwise is beneath us.

17. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Had the same problem with my wife's iPhone, took it to the Apple Store, ran diagnostics, all was well, their verdict, a software issue go home and restore, we did it, problem fixed:D

18. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I don't think I'd rely on that. Are people getting to the point where they don't have basic alarm clocks anymore? I never leave my phone on all night. Never a good idea to leave something on all the time. I don't understand why people leave computers on all the time either.

But anyway, I can turn my phone off with 52% batter left and wake up and turn it back on with exactly the same.

19. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

I've noticed that my battery has gotten slightly better. I'm a college student so I'm kind of big on knowing the usage but my MAIN goal is for my phone to last me throughout my whole day.

I don't care if I get 5-7 hours of usage, as long as I can get through my whole day.

I will say it's rather impressive for those who get 10-12 hours of usage on 1 charge. The only way that happens with me is if I charge it when my phone is around 20-30% and I let it charge to around 60%.

20. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I use my iPhone as an alarm clock.. and its extremely reliable. In fact, I've been using cell phones as alarm clocks for a very long time.

Why would I need an alarm clock when I have one built into my phone? In my case, standalone alarm clocks are pretty much redundant.

I can't see the issue of leaving things on all the time. Putting laptops to sleep don't use much power at all..

Of course, people have different preferences.. if you like alarm clocks, carry on :)

I've not seen much different in battery life in 5.1... in fact, I've seen a reduction, if anything.