5.1 ota

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaura Mohana, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

Hi
    I'm trying to update to 5.1 OTA on my 4s. I was going through a airport, and I started it there. It did some part, and I had to get on the plane.

Now that I reached where I was going, I connected to wifi, and tried downloading.. Now it says "estimating time remaining" and crashes in a minute or two.

What can I do? How can I update? >700 mb is a little big to download here.

2. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

3. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

Already landed bro ;)

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Might have to shut it down and restart , do it when you have time to let it complete.

5. AlexIamandi macrumors newbie

Hold both power and home buttons for couple of secounds 'till the screen turns grey. Then release the home button. Connect it to wi-fi, and you'll be good to go!

6. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

already restarted a bunch of times. also tried holding both buttons together
    still stuck at estimating time remaining

7. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where did you fly to ?

8. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

Delhi-Bangalore.
    The download did around 1/5 in Delhi airport, but I can't get it to start yet in Bangalore

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Try manually updating via iTunes on your computer. Or if you don't sync to a computer but sync to iCloud. Backup to iCloud first then go to Settings.app > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings (note this won't backup music) and then restore from your iCloud backup upon setup and try the update again.

Reseting All Settings might work as well.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

You're not really missing much. I'd wait til your on a stable connection before updating. Otherwise, you're risking a bricking...

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Here come the thumbs down, I can feel it... BUT

What on earth is so important to people about an update that they are doing it at an airport, while away from power (and low battery) etc.? :confused: While traveling, my phone is my lifeline if I need help, or just plain need information; I would never screw with any new software updates (not even apps that I use frequently, as historically we have seen many "break" after an update).

My suggestion to the OP... just do the update through iTunes itself. That should take care of you, I would suspect.

12. cynics macrumors G3

I agree. That's a ballsy move there! I felt compelled to keep the screen awake during the update process. I was even pissed when someone called me mid download. Guess I'm overly anal about that stuff lol

13. jsf721 macrumors 6502

You need to charged up and stay above 50% battery and have a good wifi. Had same issue but after plugging in it resumed no issue.

14. Gaura Mohana thread starter macrumors regular

Hah. Yesterday the OTA kept on crashing... Today morning I tried again, and it worked. So far it seems better then 5.0.1. While the download was going I was also constantly touching the screen to keep it on lol. I just didn't want it to stop once I got to start (that took a while)

Thanks guys..