5.1 Still no way to force EDGE on ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by capcaveman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. capcaveman macrumors member

Am I missing it? I thought the option to toggle between EDGE and other networks was supposed to return this capability.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Still nothing on the 4S with 5.1?
    I can do it with sbsettings on my JB 4S:)

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Seriously Apple... your ****ing terrible for taking this option away from people :mad:

WTF were they even thinking? It was already in the 5.1 beta's so why take it out if its already in? :confused:

Glad I didn't update to 5.1 yet (if ever)...

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Why in the world would anyone switch to EDGE when not only will call quality suffer but AT&T is also beginning to force all customers to 3G so that they can use the 2G spectrum for LTE. 2G is dead...get used to it.

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Not everyone currently gets 3G at their house... get used to it.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If they live in an area with weak 3G but decent 2G, it's nice to be able to turn off so your phone doesn't sap the battery constantly looking for a signal.

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Get used to it? If they don't get 3G they wouldn't even HAVE to switch off 3G to move to EDGE lol. Makes a ton of sense!

----------

This is a fair point and probably the only legitimate reason for wanting the button.

8. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

The 3G toggle is back when using UK mobile networks :D

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

The only reason? You mean the whole reason for wanting a "Enable 3G" option.

Yup... AT&T is ****ing terrible is all and doesn't like its customers having the option on battery life :(

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Except that your phone is still searching for that 3G signal, thus draining battery that needs not be draining since you KNOW there is no signal there. Back when I had the 3GS, before our city got 3G, being able to switch to edge only made a notable difference in battery drain.

----------

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree, blame them both.

Apple cooked it into iOS so the carriers could see who is tethering, put limits on the download size of apps, mandated facetime be over wifi, and now takes away options from AT&T to disable 3G.

Jezz Apple... get your **** together!

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

In front of my office there is no usable 3G. The wifey can't make a call without going into Edge.

13. capcaveman, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

I'm so angry I can't see straight.

:mad:Since day one the ONLY thing I HATED about my 4s was loosing the ability to switch to EDGE. I listen to a lot of streaming, and have to make calls from a building where 3G/4G is basically worthless during peak hours. I've complained to ATT and Apple, both pointed fingers at the other guy. I've left many feedback messages on the Apple website asking for them to return this feature and then I read 5.1 would be bringing this back (I know, don't count on anything you read on the internet) but now I learn this feature has been returned for some fortunate users but not everyone. This is disgusting, it's so freaking hard to have all the awesomness that I love about the 4s but I can't use it when I really need it. Guess I just need to quit my job and move somewhere with bulletproof 4G, probably a better chance of that happening than ever getting this feature back. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Few options:

1. Sometimes AT&T provides a free femtocell "MicroCell"
    2. jailbreak
    3. write to apple.com/feedback
    4. Buy a microcell

15. ap3604 macrumors 68000

1. Nice if you can actually get it for free for your house, doesn't help for someone who only gets 2G at work and their battery is getting killed :(
    2. I'm sure glad I didn't update to 5.1! I feel bad though for those that did since they were expecting this feature and now they can't even jailbreak anymore :(
    3. I probably will do this. I hope other Att users do too.
    4. Att microcell costs anywhere from $150 - 200 (not feasible for most people) and works ok for someones house who already has good wifi but doesn't help for someone who only gets 2g at work and their battery is getting killed :(

16. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

"No way to force EDGE" ? That's quite a statement, you can actually jb and do it quite easily

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I blame AT&T. It's on other carriers.
    And I blame them for putting 4G up in the carrier. It's not 4G.

18. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If Apple didn't add the 3G switch in 5.1 they never will. They AT&T MicroCell is actually really bad. It just doesn't play nice with iPhones. Not worth a penny IMO.

I hate when people say, "why do you want to turn 3G off?" People are so naive. Turning off 3G not only improves battery life but can give you a much better signal. I have been in many places and have had 1 bar of 3G, turned it off, and have gotten 5 bars of Edge. The 3G switch served a very good purpose.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can complain to work.

At one of the previous places I worked it's a huge concrete building and all kinds of phones have 1 bar. The company got cell company to install repeaters.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can't blame apple it's carrier specific! If the carrier file contains the option u get the toggle! Not apples fault

21. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

It's not Apple's fault. It's the same firmware for all 4Ss, irrespective of carrier. It's strictly a carrier-side issue now.

AT&T probably disabled it permanently because they plan on phasing out their 2G network entirely.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Um, so why is it on every other iPhone model? 4, 3GS, etc.
    And where did you read that they were getting rid of their 2G network? I'd be extremely shocked if they did that. I don't think they are doing that.

23. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Exactly! if they were really worried about people being on their 2G network then they would have removed the "enable 3G" option on the iPhone 4 for iOS 5 like they did with the 4S.

Plus Siri works fine on 2G edge so that's not an excuse either...

24. adnbek, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/ATT-Starts-Pushing-Users-Off-Their-2G-EDGE-Network-118679

The ability to disable 3G on AT&T does still exist, as anyone with SBSettimgs will attest, but AT&T has disabled the switch from appearing. I speculate it's for the reason above.

25. capcaveman thread starter macrumors member

Never wanted to Jailbreak, my phone has got to be as reliable as possible and I've heard horror stories from some who have jailbroken and had buggy iphones that were never the same after the jailbreak. Maybe it's better now, heck if I can't use the phone the way I want to without Jailbreaking to toggle 2G what's the difference if I do Jailbreak?