5.1 Tethered Jailbreak semi-tethered w/out Big Boss semi-tether app

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ZCherub, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Haven't been jailbroken since 4.1, and recently updated to 5.1 w/ 1.59.00 BB (GSM iP4 32GB). Decided to go ahead with the tethered JB using Redsn0w.

I realize that I have to boot tethered right after the JB. Funny thing is, though, as soon as the JB was done, I was back at the springboard without doing the "just boot tethered" step in Redsn0w.

Cydia was a white icon, and would not launch. Likewise Safari would not launch.

SMS appeared to work (did not crash on launch), but I didn't try to send a message, either.

From what I can gather, this appears to have functioned just like a semi-tethered JB - odd.

I re-launched Redsn0w, and went through the "just boot tethered" step, and the phone came back up after about a minute with Cydia and all other apps I tested working.

Any ideas as to what causes this, or is this how it should work? I know if I turn the phone off/restart it, I should have to boot tethered, but is there a chance that I will still have some functionality as I did immediately after JB'ing?

Any insight as to how this happens and if it is repeatable on a consistent basis would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

This is normal. Just after a jailbreak, you can boot into non-jailbroken mode without the semitether package. However, as you begin installing Cydia packages, you will quickly loose that ability (probably as soon as you install anything that is activated during boot).

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Without booting tethered with Redsn0w neither Cydia nor Safari will work (as you discovered)

4. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Alright... Props on the pic - I actually chuckled.... Just wanted to be sure that everything was working as it is supposed to. As I said, I knew this was common for the semi-tethered boot, but I was surprised as I don't have this installed.

Thanks, NnonNyrd, for the confirmation.