5.25" SATA optical drive to iMac 5K via SATA to USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidclayson, Jan 10, 2018.

1. davidclayson macrumors newbie

After a reasonable amount of troubleshooting - I can't seem to get my iMac to recognise that there is an optical drive connected at all. (Will not even show in system report).

I'm using an Inateck SATA to USB 3.0 adapter after my LiteOn IHAS124-14 (have also tried a different, older optical drive) to an iMac 5K Late 2015 running High Sierra. Sierra also didn't work in the same way.

From what I gather, most external drives don't support macOS on their manufactures page, only really various iterations of windows, but some of what I have read online seems to suggest macOS should still at least recognise the hardware attached.

Any tips from anyone who has successfully done similar?

2. davidclayson thread starter macrumors newbie

Any one got an ideas? I've tried a few different SATA to USB connectors. Two different disc drives too now. There must be a way (well hopefully!).

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Simple solution:

Buy an external USB DVD/CD/Bluray drive and be done with it.

USB-based DVD/CD (no Bluray) burners can be found for about $25 or even less.

I've been using a Samsung "506 series" with my 2012 Mini for years now -- works great.

4. davidclayson thread starter macrumors newbie

True, but I still kinda want to figure out a way to do this, or at least the reason why not if it can't be done. I've had a Samsung something or other DVD drive before (which did work no troubles), plug and play with mini USB but the build quality wasn't great with one thing or another. A 'desktop class' drive would suit me much more.

I seem to have read conflicting ideas regarding firmware on disc drives. Some things I've read suggest that the firmware just isn't compatible with Mac, others seem to suggest that any SATA drive, with the appropriate adapter should work....

Can anyone chime in on this?