Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I'm almost 1 year into 2 year iPhone 5 contract -very happy as I mainly use it for iCloud/skygo/e-mail reading news/radio

With the launch iphone6 soon I can do a'trade in' for a small fee though I guess the tariffs will be more expensive with 4g new handset etc

So i'm thinking is maybe upgrading from 5 to 5s more affordable

(I of course have the option of keeping existing phone then re considering next year)

Any thoughts:rolleyes:

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Today, the differences are Touch ID and the camera, the iPhone 5S Camera is a pretty substantial upgrade, so if you take lots of photos it may be worth considering.

The speed differences, while minor today, will reveal themselves in a year or two. Look at the difference between the iPhone 4 and 4S, and the 3 and 3S, the performance is night and day!

Plus you will get a further year of iOS support.

So if you're planning on keeping the phone for a couple of years, the upgrade may be worth doing.

Having said all of that, I would wait and see what Apple anounced in a couple of weeks. Even if you don't want an iPhone 6, they will reduce the price of the current iPhones.

Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
excellent advice thanks

I think the wait and see makes sense as i'm not a camera user (though existing camera has been excellent for scanning documents...saved me a lot of hassle this year)

touch id...thats 'new tech' to me what are the benefits to a daily iPhone user

the catch for iPhone 6 will be nfc (though the u.k is lagging)-wish for the day I can leave home without my debit card and pay for petrol/food)

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
resisted temptation today though all credit to O2 -excellent 5s offer (same price as existing 5 tariff with £8 upfront handset payment gold 5s);)

I hate the 'wait and see'....iphone 6....maybe:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.