5 days old, bought @ BestBuy, dead pixel. Exchange or go to Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Jul 7, 2010.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So I bought the iP4 at Best Buy less than a week ago. I have a dead pixel. Will Best Buy give me an exchange? I feel like they'll tell me to deal with it and won't say it's worthy of an exchange.

...or do I go to Apple?

2. Greeney macrumors newbie

As far as I know you can return the phone to Best Buy whenever you want and for whatever reason... Just make sure they have another phone to exchange it with.

3. MT0227 macrumors 6502

Umm....have you given it a try? :rolleyes:

4. f00f macrumors 65816

You can exchange it at the Apple Store no problem if you feel you need to (i.e. because BB's stock is limited or whatever). My fiance has done this twice already (edit: Yes. She got her first one at BB). The Apple Store currently keeps an inventory of "black box" phones to handle replacements. These are new phones that come in an unmarked black box. They are not refurbs because it's presumably too early for those yet.

If they don't have any in stock you'd just have to wait for the next shipment and the Store would call you when the phone is in.

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I'd go to Apple. I had a flashing pixel (for lack of a better word) that is now a solid color so I'll be getting an exchange at some point.

6. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Just got back from an apple store (purchased at AT&T). I had a dead pixel and a few other issues. They replaced no questions asked. Guy brought out the little mystery black box and viola! New phone! :cool:

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Your options are return @ BB for refund or exchange for new boxed one or exchange at Apple store w/ no-box service exchange (new right now as well. Make sure you get the serial# stickers for resale.)

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Going to apple would be the easier choice but remember that when you swap phones you swap serials so you can't return that replacement to best buy.

9. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

But I can swap the replacement at Apple if it also has problems right? (I've heard different things related to this)

10. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Yes, some have swapped out 3 times. It won't be an issue as long as you have a valid reason and can prove the defect.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

See this thread before going to apple to get it swapped out.

Personally, I'd go to best buy to exchange/return it and avoid apple. Not that apple is bad, but you'd only get a refurb and given the example in the thread I linked, you could find yourself in deep weeds.

12. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Seems like exchanging at Best Buy should be my first attempt. I hope they have stock.

13. Greeney macrumors newbie

I would say that is your best bet.

14. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you have no intention of ever returning your phone for a refund. I'd just go to apple since they should have plenty of replacement phones and you could potentially be in and out in under 10 minutes. I bought mine at AT&T but have swapped at apple 3 times already. Two of the times took about 5 minutes, really easy.

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

stock is limited at bestbuy which is why apple may be better choice.

if you have no intention of returning the phone, there's nothing wrong with going to apple.

16. RasterScan macrumors member

RasterScan

17. gouda272 macrumors regular

If you have the BestBuy warranty do not go to the Apple Store under any circumstances even though the phone is covered under mfg warranty. I got screwed by this. I used apple's express repair to fix a one week old phone and basically ended up paying for a warranty for over a year that was never valid once apple exchaned the phone.

18. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

UPDATE:

I went to Apple store. They saw the dead pixel immediately and gave me an exchange. He said there are no refurbished iP4's YET and my replacement is new. Quick and dirty...new phone.

19. DJBenE macrumors member

You can either do it at BB or walk in to an Apple store to get it exchanged. Do it now before they start giving out refurbs. :)

20. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Congrats! Glad to hear they didn't give you too much trouble.

21. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Best Buy was out of stock and I didn't want to drive all over Miami visiting Best Buys. I had an Apple Store appointment this morning, so just headed over...knowing I'm not going to return my iphone4 (in which case I'd want to stay with BB). But yeah, if you need to exchange, DO IT NOW!

22. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

There are some misdirections in this thread.

I have returned my ip4 TWO times now, so I'm on my third one.

Each time I was given a brand new phone from the apple store.

I originally bought my phone from the att store.

I called them up and spoke with the manager, and if I feel I still want to return my phone within the 30 days, she says I am completely free to do so, it makes no difference I don't have the "original" phone, as they sold me a bad phone.

Maybe it's different with best buy or individual stores... but as least in my case I'm safe.

I originally did buy 6 ip4's though, so I always get to dangle that over att's head, if they don't let me return my one, I will return all the 5 others, so it's basically common business sense on their part.

But I didn't even have to use that when I spoke with my manager, she assured me if I was unhappy within 30 days, I can return no issues whatsoever.

I will be returning one of the 6 and downgrading to a 3gs, but the other 5 will 90% most likely stay 4's.

23. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Various MR users have reported buy an iP4 at Best Buy, getting a replacement at Apple and then Best Buy denying a return because the serial numbers don't match.

24. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Like I said in my thread, might be a best buy thing... def. not an AT&T thing.

25. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Six phones? What have been the issues with each?