$5 for solution! Restoring iPhone 4S and keeping 5.0/Cydia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boston44, Apr 24, 2012.

1. boston44 macrumors 6502

I have a slight problem.. I have an AT&T iPhone 4S that has data on it, and I would like to obviously remove this data before selling. I know if I erase content via the phone, it will brick because it's already jailbroken. I know it I restore via iTunes, it will update to 5.1 and I couldn't re-jailbreak. Any ideas on how to make this work? What I need is the phone clean ready to go on 5.0 with Cydia installed... Crossing fingers!

P.S.- Willing to paypal anyone $5 that helps me with a solution. I realize it isn't much at all, it's meant to be a gesture to show your time is appreciated.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

:(

Here's a question- I'm meeting up with the guy I'm selling to. If he installs his gevey sim in front of me, wouldn't it just erase all my stuff anyway and there would be no need to restore?

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I believe that if he installs gevey sim it won't delete any data. All it does is it bypasses the network to use on any GSM (pretty much an unofficial unlock). I could be wrong but that would be my only guess.

6. SimplyiOS macrumors member

No, installing the sim will not erase it, the gevey will just switch carriers. What you could do, is plug into iTunes and deselect everything and then sync the iPhone to remove what's on the iPhone. Contacts, pics, apps etc..

Nick

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If he's going to have to go with that route, OP would have to log out of the app store as well from the phone.

8. SimplyiOS macrumors member

Yes, but it can be done. That would be the best option at this point if he's getting rid of it and needs to remove the info.

9. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Little confused. The phone is not logged into the app store (sim is out of phone), and I suppose I could plug it into a computer without any music/apps on it so when I hit "sync music", it just deletes everything. Am I getting this right?

10. Doublemint macrumors member

My suggestion is
    1. borrow someone's iPhone 4S (only if they don't care about jailbreak and is already on 5.1)
    2. Back it up
    3. Restore from itunes to delete every content
    4. Set up as new device and make up a different name for it
    5. Back it up again.
    6. Unplug your friends iPhone.
    7. Plug your phone and restore from latest backup that you created with no information on it.

Not sure if this will work but you can try

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As long as music, apps, contacts, photos, videos are all de-selected and hit sync. Everything will be re-moved.

12. SimplyiOS macrumors member

That's correct, basically sync nothing to the phone, overwriting what's currently on it.

13. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I'll try this, also, couldn't I just go in and manually delete everything? Lol. Thanks for your help! If you want, send me your paypal info.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

LoL $5 for someone helping you keep your JB? Cheap much? I figure keeping a JB is worth at least $20.

15. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I think what your real concern is not the apps, photo or contact, you should overwrite the imessage user ID, apps store ID, icloud ID, face time ID and game center ID

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Couldn't you just create a new itunes library and then sync it?

Also you're a JB'r but not using tinyumbrella?