5 Hours of Battery, Really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lupend88, Oct 13, 2012.

1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

I know my standby is more than average, but a lot of my settings are to conserve battery. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

People should chill out and get on with their life.

I think this is more than enough to get you trough the day.

My battery at this moment:

8hours usage, 1day 2hours of standby. 5% left.

Still, I'll charge it every night. I think you should too. I can't see any discomfort about that.

3. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

I don't ever remember freaking out or halting my life.

I actually normally charge it every night, with last night as an exception. I still feel like 5 hours is too short, and if I pay a lot of money for something, I want it to work amazingly.

4. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I had every iPhone released and I believe it was my iPhone 4 that had a bad battery. I could just tell that the phone was not lasting like it should and when the Apple store swapped it out, I had a phone that lasted morning to night so my speculation was right.

Both my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 last 1/2 day so we will be taking them to the Apple store to have them swapped out.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

No. That's ridiculous. It will be considered good for an Android, but even my 4S gets 3 hours more than what you get.

6. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I am getting about six hours of usage out of mine, with around 12-13 hours of standby. I'm not satisfied with that, but I have to admit usually before my battery flips to red, I'm in bed and it's back on the charger. Still, I would like to be getting 8-10 hours like some of the other posters I see here. How are they doing that???

7. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

This is exactly what I get if I use Safari on 4G all day AND I do not listen to music.

If I switch to Wifi and use Safari I will go over 8 hours.

If I switch to Wifi AND listen to music I can go 10 hours.

Sometimes I wish they did not even have a usage meter.

8. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

I would like to know as well. I especially feel like I shouldn't be lessening my experience of the iPhone just to have my battery last through the day. I turn my brightness down, bluetooth off, location services minimal. If I do all this, I should be getting 8 hours.

----------

Do you think your iPhone is average or above average?

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I actually do not know, I am an engineer, and this is not as easy a question as people seem to think. If we could get everyone to do some standard test I would be more interested. Like set the screen to 50%, the volume to 50%, run the battery to 80% and then run 2 hours of a movie to see what the loss is. Can't start at 100 as the headroom over 100 varies with phone history.

Funny. I am on my MacBook pro and I never check battery life. Just charge it when needed.

I do know that I am getting more time out of this one than I did the the iPhone 4.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This.

It depends so much what you do with it, it differs from one user to the other.

One plays games, the other not.
    Streaming over LTE or Wifi, streaming music or Movies.
    How many Apps are active in the background.
    How many Apps are inactive in memory.
    Bluetooth On/Off.
    Location Services On/Off.
    Wifi On/Off.
    Badly coded Apps.
    How long you are talking on the phone, some use it a lot, other almost nothing.
    Good reception/bad reception (in a building or outside)
    If on Wifi, good or bad reception.
    Brightness of display.
    Tethering or not.
    And so on......

11. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Very true. Do you think if I'm dissatisfied with the battery and tell Apple that I am getting 5 hours of usage they will replace it or tell me that it's normal?

12. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

For what it's worth: I went this route with my iPhone 4. I saw all the threads of people getting better battery life, so I kept records, went in and argued my way to a new iPhone. But the new one had a screen that did not look as good. and so on . . .

When I took in my 4, they linked to the phone itself via wifi and did some type of battery diagnostic. I was probably in the normal range, but they gave me a replacement anyway. The new one had the same battery life as the old one . . .

13. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

So you basically went through tons of hassle to end up with the same battery life?

14. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

bingo!

15. lupend88 thread starter macrumors 6502

lupend88

Thanks for you help. I will have to consider that before making any final decisions. I appreciate it.

16. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think it is normal, 5 1/2 hours isn't bad.
    The problem here is, I/We can advice you, but I/We don't know your usage, as the other poster also said, there should be a way to monitor usage with a set of Application/settings running, so there should be an App which you start and will set the iPhone up into a state which is the same on every iPhone, and only then you can say if your iPhone is good or bad.
    I am pretty sure Apple has such tests/Apps.