Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
Wondering how everyone gets better battery life, when once again, I'm barely getting 5 hours here/ From a FULL charge. nothing too strenuous except some FaceTime calls.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
I'm no expert, but I have heard that for the first week or so of using a new iPhone it does a lot of functions internally so you can't really judge battery life accurately. I think Rene Ritchie explained this on this past Tuesday's MacBreak Weekly.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Also turn off notifications and location services on stuff that you don't really need them on.

I realized a couple years ago they were eating my battery up!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Relax, nothing to worry about right now. It takes 5-8 cycles for the battery to break in. You will see better battery life soon.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This is not fact for Lithium Ion batteries.

But what is true is that when a device is new there may be a lot of optimization and background tasks going on. It may take a few cycles before you start seeing more typical battery life. That makes it seem as though the battery itself is breaking in.

Reactions: eagleglen

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
But what is true is that when a device is new there may be a lot of optimization and background tasks going on. It may take a few cycles before you start seeing more typical battery life. That makes it seem as though the battery itself is breaking in.
Correct.

Saying so would be more prudent than blaming the battery 'breaking in'.

He needs to check his battery usage over the next week and see where the most draw is reported.

criminycraft

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Houston, TX
So what's the protocol when it comes to the first charge? Am I supposed to charge it all the way and then decharge it all the way? or just use it until it decharges all the way and then charge it all the way?

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
So what's the protocol when it comes to the first charge? Am I supposed to charge it all the way and then decharge it all the way? or just use it until it decharges all the way and then charge it all the way?

Use it until it turns off. Plug it in, wait a few minutes for it to reboot, then turn it off. Let it charge to 100% while off.

Do this a couple times per year. Modern li-ions can't be "calibrated" like older batteries, but the accuracy of the battery meter can be, which is what we're doing here.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
You might want to try battery saving tips like these. You don't have to do every tip, but some are helpful to know what can cause battery drain.

Battery saving tips

1. Settings > WiFi > Disable Ask to Join Networks

2. Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > OFF

3. Settings > Cellular > Go all the way to the bottom > Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist

4. Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Turn OFF everything there

5. Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Turn OFF everything there

6. Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > ON

7. Settings > General > Background App Refresh > switch it OFF

8. Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn OFF Set Automatically

9. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Make sure all apps are set to "Never" or "While Using". Go to Share My Location and make sure it is OFF. Then go back to Location Services and go down to System Services and turn OFF everything there except for Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod.

10. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Turn OFF Fitness Tracking

11. Settings > Privacy > Diagnostic & Usage > Check OFF Don't Send

12. Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Turn on Limit Ad Tracking, then press Reset Advertising Identifier

13. Settings > iCloud > Turn OFF anything here you don't use. I recommend turning OFF iCloud Drive, Everything in Photos, News, and Wallet.

14. Settings > App and iTunes Store > Turn OFF everything here.

15. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Tap on anything here besides iCloud and set it to Manual.

16. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Turn OFF Contacts Found in Mail

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF iMessage if you don't use it.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Send Read Receipts.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Group Messaging.

18. Settings > Facetime > Turn OFF if not used.

19. Settings > Safari > Turn OFF Preload Top Hit. Turn OFF Safari Suggestions. Turn OFF Quick Website Search.

20. Settings > Safari > Turn ON Do Not Track.

21. Settings > News > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Show Story Previews.

22. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Show Apple Music if you don't use it.

23. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Use Cellular Data.

24. Settings > Videos > Turn OFF Show iTunes Purchases.

25. Settings > Photos & Camera > Turn off everything here.

26. Settings > iBooks > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Sync Bookmarks and Notes. Turn OFF Sync Collections. Turn OFF Online Content.

27. Settings > Podcasts > Turn off Sync Podcasts. Turn OFF Cellular Data. Change Refresh Every to MANUAL.

28. Settings > Game Center > Tap on your email address > Sign Out

29. Settings > Notifications > Go into each app and turn off notifications for apps you don’t need notifications on. Adjust for the ones you want and turn off the show on lock screen. Constantly turning on your lock screen drains the battery

30. If you are using Facebook, go to account settings in the FB app and turn off autoplay in video and photos. This disables video post from playing when you scroll over them.

31. Settings > General > Siri> Hey Siri > switch it OFF if you don’t use it

Last edited:

blotto80

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
Houston, TX
I came from 6s and the difference in battery has been pretty big, took my 7plus of the charger at around 8am this morning after charging all night, it's currently 3am and I still have 25% battery life, 19hrs standby - 8hrs usage. I'm pretty happy with its performance so far.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

No need to do any of that. Just use it and charge while sleeping. I have never done anything special. Apple has put a lot of technology in your device so you do not need to do anything except use you device. Running your battery all the way down will not do anything except wear on the battery.
[doublepost=1474194172][/doublepost]
You might want to try battery saving tips like these:

Battery saving tips

1. Settings > WiFi > Disable Ask to Join Networks

2. Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > OFF

3. Settings > Cellular > Go all the way to the bottom > Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist

4. Settings > General > Spotlight Search > Turn OFF everything there

5. Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps > Turn OFF everything there

6. Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > ON

7. Settings > General > Background App Refresh > switch it OFF

8. Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn OFF Set Automatically

9. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Make sure all apps are set to "Never" or "While Using". Go to Share My Location and make sure it is OFF. Then go back to Location Services and go down to System Services and turn OFF everything there except for Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod.

10. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Turn OFF Fitness Tracking

11. Settings > Privacy > Diagnostic & Usage > Check OFF Don't Send

12. Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Turn on Limit Ad Tracking, then press Reset Advertising Identifier

13. Settings > iCloud > Turn OFF anything here you don't use. I recommend turning OFF iCloud Drive, Everything in Photos, News, and Wallet.

14. Settings > App and iTunes Store > Turn OFF everything here.

15. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Tap on anything here besides iCloud and set it to Manual.

16. Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Turn OFF Contacts Found in Mail

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF iMessage if you don't use it.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Send Read Receipts.

17. Settings > Messages > Turn OFF Group Messaging.

18. Settings > Facetime > Turn OFF if not used.

19. Settings > Safari > Turn OFF Preload Top Hit. Turn OFF Safari Suggestions. Turn OFF Quick Website Search.

20. Settings > Safari > Turn ON Do Not Track.

21. Settings > News > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Show Story Previews.

22. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Show Apple Music if you don't use it.

23. Settings > Music > Turn OFF Use Cellular Data.

24. Settings > Videos > Turn OFF Show iTunes Purchases.

25. Settings > Photos & Camera > Turn off everything here.

26. Settings > iBooks > Turn OFF Cellular Data. Turn OFF Sync Bookmarks and Notes. Turn OFF Sync Collections. Turn OFF Online Content.

27. Settings > Podcasts > Turn off Sync Podcasts. Turn OFF Cellular Data. Change Refresh Every to MANUAL.

28. Settings > Game Center > Tap on your email address > Sign Out

29. Settings > Notifications > Go into each app and turn off notifications for apps you don’t need notifications on. Adjust for the ones you want and turn off the show on lock screen. Constantly turning on your lock screen drains the battery

30. If you are using Facebook, go to account settings in the FB app and turn off autoplay in video and photos. This disables video post from playing when you scroll over them.

31. Settings > General > Siri> Hey Siri > switch it OFF if you don’t use it

You should not have to turn anything off for you the 7 to last a typical day. Ridiculous.

Reactions: VolceOntra

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Isn't iOS10 contributing during the first days of both new phones and new installs on our existing phones? I understand there is quite a bit of indexing going on for a few days. - and the Memories feature of Photos (especially if you have a large collection in iCloud) must be using quite a bit of resources in the background. I have found simply installing that battery drain was substantial the first days, seem to be leveling out closer to normal now.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Isn't iOS10 contributing during the first days of both new phones and new installs on our existing phones? I understand there is quite a bit of indexing going on for a few days. - and the Memories feature of Photos (especially if you have a large collection in iCloud) must be using quite a bit of resources in the background. I have found simply installing that battery drain was substantial the first days, seem to be leveling out closer to normal now.
Yes but not the memories or faces features. Those only index everything while the phone is charging and not in use.

Reactions: JSB1540
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.