5 months with iPhone 5 and what I rate it as...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Mar 3, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Well at first it was okay but as time goes what is terrible is the battery...makes no sense that it dies way way too fast for a phone that came out in 2012
    it only last 3 hours when used with service. But when used on airplane it last 10 hours.

What really sucks is how the camera doesn't work well at night and the limited space of 16GB..I give it a 7 out of 10..But do any of you feel the same way ? That you like the iPhone 5 but at the same time you feel disappointed about it..like it isn't special like the iPhone 4 when it came out it was a monster of awesomeness.

Nothing is perfect but at the time...summer 2010 it sure was ahead of it's time with it's features. A huge jump from 3G to 4
    It's very reliable still. But for iphone 5 that came out 27 months later is kinda a disappointing jump..it should had offer more :(

2. Flapjacks macrumors newbie

I don't want to seem ignorant but how is the jump from iphone 4s to iphone 5 not a big jump. You have almost the same improvements the 3gs to 4 had. New design, better screen, bigger battery life, more ram etc.

I guess im not in the norm when I think the iphone 5 is already a "monster of awesomeness."

3. Hail Caesar macrumors regular

I disagree with you OP. the iPhone 5 is a beast of a phone that functions better than anything on the market. I think some people have taken for granted what the phone delivers, we have gotten so use to it that now for some it seems flat.

Every hardware maker is trying to emulate what apple has done. Eventually you will see these makers stray from open source and start to work on their own software and services ala Apple! Examples if needed, Micorsoft/Surface, Google/Moto, and Samsung/Tizen

4. VolunteerAce18 macrumors newbie

I'd say give it a little time, a friend of mine said that's why he buys the "S" versions, because they improve upon the original design and fix most of the bugs. I've had a 3GS and I'm currently on my 4S and love it

5. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I like the iPhone 5. It is very thin, light, fast, and my battery is awesome, much better than my 4 was.

6. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

I use my 5 on a pretty consistent basis and get MUCH more than 3 hours battery life maybe twice that. I get MUCH more. Maybe if I take straight video or FaceTime I could get it to last only 3 hours.

7. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Space wouldn't be limited to 16 gigs if you had bought the 32 gig model.

8. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

So far I've been very happy with battery life on the iPhone 5. I usually get about six hours of usage with a mix of LTE and Wifi. The camera may not perform so well in low light but this is the case with just about any smartphone camera. It's right at the top of class for overall camera performance by a smartphone.

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I find my 5 (ATT) works better than any other phone in my recent memory. The last few phones I had were the 3G, the 4, the Google Nexus (last year). And before then the Treo 650. It is noticeable to others when I switch between the Nexus and the 5 for voice.

Battery life seems to be better than the 4 too.

Of course, I'm not in an LTE area, which I understand hurts battery life. 3G hurt it vs GSM too.

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

What are doing to your phone to make it only last three hours?
    Also I've used a few different android phones and I have to say even if you are really only getting 3 hours out of your iPhone you would be seriously disappointed jumping ship

11. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

I question what OP is doing as well. I get routinely 7-8 hours of usage time on mine. It's on par if not better than my prior iPhones.

I personally think the 5 is a great phone, but I'm looking for significant updates in iOS 7.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Have you ever made the actual jump from the 3G/3GS to iPhone 4? I also own an iPhone 5, and while I'm not as disappointed with it as TS, I also 'feel' that the iPhone 4 was much more ahead of its time than the iPhone 5 is.

To give you an idea why the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 step was big:

- Long awaited features such as - finally - a decent 5 MP camera with LED flash were put into the device
    The iPhone 5's camera is better than the iPhone 4's camera, but it's not as huge a jump as 3GS>4 was.

- Thinnest smartphone with the best battery life at the time
    iPhone 5 isn't the thinnest nor has it the best battery life

- Huge design change
    While the design of the iPhone 5 has obviously been changed, the step from 3GS>4 was and felt much bigger

- Retina display
    At the time, a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch was unheard of. Combine that with a huge boost in contrast, colors, viewing angle, and than you should understand that the change from 3GS>4 was much bigger: the iPhone 5's display is a small step forward, while the iPhone 4 was a huge step forward.

- iOS 4
    iPhone 4 launched with iOS 4. Back in 2010, when iOS changed numbers (like: iOS (X) to iOS (X+1)) the new iOS version was actually huge. iOS 4 changed the entire 'iOS feel' compared to iOS 3. You can't say that about iOS 6: the update from iOS 5 to iOS 6 was like a 1000 times smaller compared to the update from iOS 3 to iOS 4.

The jump from iOS 3 to iOS 4, should be slightly comparable to a jump from iOS 4 to iOS 6.1.

--------------------
    As I said, I'm not as disappointed with the iPhone 5 as the topic starter is, but I get what he is saying. 2010 was an awesome Apple year:

Winter/spring: first iPad announced and released - it had the 'wow'-factor
    Spring: iOS 4 announced (was a huge upgrade)
    Spring/summer: iOS 4 released. iPhone 4 announced with LOTS of new features, and for the first time: the Retina display.
    Fall: all-new iPod line-up, almost every iPod got a big upgrade

Compare that to 2012 where we had a small iPad update in March, a disappointing iOS 6 PREVIEW in summer. September/October was exciting because of the new iPhone and iPad mini.

Again, I get the topic starter: 2010 was an awesome Apple year with lots of new products that had exciting new features and technologies EVERY few months.

2012? Some excitement in March, then nothing exciting for the rest of the year until fall. And the products that were shown to us in fall had mostly "improved features" (in 2010 it was more like: "drastically improved plus lots of new features").

13. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I give the iPhone 5 a 9.5/10, because it's harder to keep it looking pristine than the 4/4S. Other than that, it's amazing.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

You need to read about how to use a camera if you get such lousy night photos.

15. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Sounds like you have a defective phone.

16. tl01 macrumors 65816

I love my 5... Especially after trying the SIII for a few weeks. Battery is far better... Much another... And the size if limited bc you chose 16gb. How's that Apple's fault? Guess you could trade your phone for an 8gb nexus 4.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Your friend would be correct.

18. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

I'm debating waiting for the iPhone 5s or just upgrade to the iPhone 5 from the iPhone 4. I love my iPhone 4 and have never had a problem with it ever. I could care less about Siri as I would never use that feature and playing around with the iPhone 5, I love the speed but I love the design of the 4/4s better. The iPhone 5 feels too light. I dunno. :eek:

19. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I rate it 10 out of 10 - it's the best iPhone ever and the best cell phone I've ever used.

20. i1280 macrumors regular

i1280

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Or a 64gb model.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have three 64s taped together, **** is wild.

23. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I'm also in the "I love my iPhone 5" camp. I couldn't be any happier with it. 64GB was definitely the right decision, and my battery life is perfectly fine.

24. BlueMoonForever macrumors 6502

I rate it as absolutely horrible. Apple needs to get QC under control, then we'll talk. I used the iPhone 5 for exactly 4 months and just went back to my iPhone 4S, and couldn't be happier. The iPhone 5 feels way too cheap and flimsy compared the wonderful design the iphone 4 was.

I don't know why Apple abandoned this design, it was perfect in every way. The 4" also didn't feel right. I will hope that Apple makes a 4.3" phone someday. Anything greater than that is too big.

Loving my iPhone 4S. I hope Apple quickly abandons the iPhone 5 design.

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

This is the same reason I've only gotten the "S" models (3GS and a 4S). And as long as iOS 7 adds something that keeps my interest, I will also get the 5S (if we're assuming that's what the next iPhone will be called).