Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ancilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I use this app anyway, so it's a nice deal.

Basically, just search for a whatever you decide to buy using the app, and you get 5% off (capped) what is probably the cheapest price out there anyway.

See:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...-48-8&linkCode=as2&camp=19801-269-4X8-5BV-072

You DO NOT need to go to the store to actually use this, since you can just type in the item:

"Use barcode scanning, camera, speech, OR TEXT SEARCH to find the lowest prices." :D

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
"Technically" 1 day + 3 hours

From the link: This promotion starts 9:00 pm (PST) December 9, 2011 and ends 11:59 pm (PST) December 10, 2011.

With a max of 3 deals so choose wisely.

Excellent catch! First place I've read about it.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
From the link: This promotion starts 9:00 pm (PST) December 9, 2011 and ends 11:59 pm (PST) December 10, 2011.

With a max of 3 deals so choose wisely.

Excellent catch! First place I've read about it.

$5 maximum discount, you don't have to choose THAT wisely...big whoop.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
At the risk of sounding like a finger-wagging, pompous do-gooder windbag...

This is abominable, especially if you scan something at a local store and then go and buy it from Amazon just to get a measly 5% off. For crying out loud, spend the extra 5% and buy something from a local store, especially if you are already standing in front of it!"

Not to mention the fact that you are essentially price-checking all of Amazon's competitors for them...

Amazon is extremely convenient and offers low prices, but their social engineering is downright scary at times, and they are a big reason why good local book stores are hard to find these days. Heck, they are the reason that even chain bookstores are hard to find these days.

Don't do it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Amazon is extremely convenient and offers low prices, but their social engineering is downright scary at times, and they are a big reason why good local book stores are hard to find these days. Heck, they are the reason that even chain bookstores are hard to find these days.

Well, I've yet to find a local store (book or otherwise) that offers Amazon-like pricing, customer service, convenience or shipping (especially if you're a Prime member).

If you have those types of stores in your area, that's great and feel free to support them. But I wouldn't try to scare off people that choose to shop elsewhere.

You could make your argument for every big retailer (including Apple). I'm sure you don't shop at Apple online or the Apple Store, right? Do you buy all your Macs from your local Mac resellers?

Amazon has pretty much set the gold standard for retail in general. They're competing like everyone else. They'll never be able to completely one-up your excellent local stores because they can't provide you with a physical product instantly.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, I've yet to find a local store (book or otherwise) that offers Amazon-like pricing, customer service, convenience or shipping (especially if you're a Prime member).

Well, it's really not necessary to worry about shipping if you're shopping local, is it? As for customer service, amazon is generally good but speaking to a human being in person has its advantages. And you're right - like Wal-Mart, Amazon benefits hugely from economies of scale and can offer very competitive prices.

If you have those types of stores in your area, that's great and feel free to support them. But I wouldn't try to scare off people that choose to shop elsewhere.

Anyone easily 'scared off' by anonymous personal opinions on the internet isn't much of an intellect. Presumably we can all look into these things and draw our own conclusions.

You could make your argument for every big retailer (including Apple). I'm sure you don't shop at Apple online or the Apple Store, right? Do you buy all your Macs from your local Mac resellers?

Yes. Out of the three Macs I've purchased over the years, two were purchased in-person at local Authorized Apple Service Centers (not Apple Stores). The third was bought (used) from an internet reseller. I have only bought something at an Apple store on two or three occastions.

That doesn't mean I have any problem buying from the Apple Store - and at any rate, there's a difference between buying an Apple product from Apple and buying a third-party product (such as a book or music CD) from Amazon that is available at hundreds of other stores.

Amazon has pretty much set the gold standard for retail in general. They're competing like everyone else. They'll never be able to completely one-up your excellent local stores because they can't provide you with a physical product instantly.

There should be plenty of space for both to exist. But if you think they're "competing like everyone else" you're dreaming. They operate an incredible information-gathering operation to try and find out what people are buying, where they are getting them from and for how much. Their reach is truly global and on a massive scale. They spend hundreds of millions of dollars to find ways to gather consumer information and mine it to create sales strategies that lure you to their business.

I don't think you should feel guilty just because you bought something from Amazon. But their growth as a company ought to clue you in on just how much they are out-competing everyone. And your implication that more local operations can somehow compete directly with them is completely false.

If we all shopped strictly based on cost criteria all the time, only big-box stores and global ebusinesses would be viable.

bangup22

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
This just worked for me on a 16 GB iPod Nano.

Thanks OP!

PS: be sure to read the rules at the link first.

I use this app anyway, so it's a nice deal.

Basically, just search for a whatever you decide to buy using the app, and you get 5% off (capped) what is probably the cheapest price out there anyway.

See:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...-48-8&linkCode=as2&camp=19801-269-4X8-5BV-072

You DO NOT need to go to the store to actually use this, since you can just type in the item:

"Use barcode scanning, camera, speech, OR TEXT SEARCH to find the lowest prices." :D

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
At the risk of sounding like a finger-wagging, pompous do-gooder windbag...

This is abominable, especially if you scan something at a local store and then go and buy it from Amazon just to get a measly 5% off. For crying out loud, spend the extra 5% and buy something from a local store, especially if you are already standing in front of it!"

Not to mention the fact that you are essentially price-checking all of Amazon's competitors for them...

Don't do it.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. EXCEPT: you can type it in. I would feel ABSOLUTELY NO GUILT typing in or even going to, say, a Best Buy or Wal*Mart and scanning an item that I was planning on buying at Amazon anyway. But your initial point is 100% accurate, and it always amuses me that it's the Pro-America Right-Wing types who support this kind of stuff and then wonder why our economy is tanking...

Support your community. Simple as that.

(and just so the above comment doesn't brand me as being partisan, I have identical complaints about occupy protestors who bank with Wells Fargo or BofA ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.