5 or 5C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakesaunders27, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Hi,

So i currently have a BlackBerry Bold 9900 and really want to get rid of it, i like the 5S, looks good but in the UK on O2 the prices are a bit steep for a phone if I'm honest, so then i looked to the 5C which looks nice, in fact my sister has just got one and it feels lovely. The thing is though there are still a few iPhone 5's still sitting on the shelves and i can get a bloody good deal on one here in the UK on O2. So I'm a bit unsure what to go for. Am i going to be throwing one of these phones at the wall because it cant run iOS 8 or whatever in 2 years time or should it last well? I mean my mum and dad are still on 4's.

Cheers Guys

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do like the 5C, but since its virtually an iPhone 5, I'd say get the 5 and slap a colored case on the bad boy and save yourself some money.

3. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Thanks for your reply, I'm not too bothered about colours and never have my phones in cases anyway so I would get either a Blue or White 5C or a Black 5 i just don't know which! I think I'm leaning more towards the 5.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think the only upgrades to the 5c are a slightly better facetime camera, a slightly bigger battery, and more lte bands. It's also a big thicker and heavier. None of that is very meaningfully different, so it's really which shell you like better. I'm partial to the 5, which I own, but it's personal preference.

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Personally I'd go for the 5c.
    - Curved edges are nicer in hand
    - Longer battery life than iPhone 5
    - Facetime HD camera
    - More LTE bands
    - Less scratch prone materials

6. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

its more the future that i'm bothered about is it still okay to take out a 2 year contract on last years phone?

----------

this is what i think, but the 5 is better quality right?

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Aluminum is softer and easier to scuff than triple-coated polycarbonate. It's up to you to decide which material you like more than the other. I'd personally go with the 5c every time.

8. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Yeah, have you got a 5C if so what did you upgrade from?

9. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I got the 5s due to all the upgrades over the 5, upgraded from a 4s.

But if it's a question of 5c or 5? then 5c all the way for me.

10. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Right ok, thanks

11. painejake macrumors newbie

painejake

If you get the 5 do put a case on it...

Mine looks like I've been demolishing buildings with it when I didn't have a case on it for approx 6 months.

12. billycuth macrumors 6502a

But, in drop tests, the 5/5s holds up MUCH better than the 5c.

13. jakesaunders27 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

Haha ok! i like the new 5/5S cases anyway

14. tubalores macrumors member

tubalores

I wouldn't say that...in the drop test I watched on Youtube, the 5c was perfect after 2 drops, while the 5s showed dings and dents after the first. The 5c's screen DID crack upon the 3rd drop, but the phones weren't dropped EXACTLY the same way/didn't hit the ground at the same point or in the same way, making the whole drop test meaningless/unscientific anyway. Given tiny changes, the 5s could have cracked upon first drop...

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I like the 5C myself. But if you can get a better deal on the 5 then I'd say go for it.

16. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Get the 5, just feels and looks like a nicer product. and not that it matters much but 90% of people looking at it wouldn't be able to tell it from a 5s

17. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is wrong! The 5s was damaged after one drop. The 5c's screen cracked on the third drop when it fell and dropped differently then the 5s. The 5s had the screen lifting up after the first one ... Besides the test was null when he dropped the 5c differently on the last drop.

18. krazykleo macrumors regular

Hey dude I'm going from a 3gs to a 5c just because I do not need all the features the 5s has to offer since I only use my phone for talking(very minimum), texting, music, youtube and interwebz. for that reason alone I bought the (green)5c. I could've gotten the 5s but I don't need the upgraded processors or the 64bit.

I just realized you were inquiring about 5 or 5c...I'm sorry I should learn to read before posting.... But i'll leave my post up just for fun lol

19. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

And this is why I'd choose the 5c. I don't care if someone thinks I have a certain phone. Yeah the 5 and 5s look alike, but the 5c is different lol

20. billycuth macrumors 6502a

OK, you guys obviously saw different tests than I did.

On one series of tests, it took 3 drops for the 5c's face to break. It was the face down drop.

On another series, it was the very first drop - a "corner" drop. The screen shattered right away.

The 5s screen never shattered in the tests I saw. But make no mistake, the 5c can scuff just as easily. The plastic gets gouged just like the metal on the 5s.

21. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well... A guy at my work as a 5c as well and going on lunch yesterday dropped it walking out the door onto concrete his shoe caught everything except the right corner and now the right corner as a big chip taken out of it ... Therefore I'd say it can chip just as easily as the 5s. I'm not going to deny that, but idk if the 5s or 5c is more durable then each other.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's your call to make. I wouldn't but it's a subjective matter. Our priorities clearly aren't in line if you're considering the 5 or 5c.