5 Reasons to Skip the iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iThomas, Sep 25, 2012.

1. iThomas macrumors newbie

I just read this article that explains 5 reasons to skip the iphone 5:

http://www.polarfrogdigital.com/5-reasons-to-skip-the-iphone-5/

They do have some very valid points in there that makes me think again about purchasing my iPhone 5, or just sticking with my current iPhone 4S. I have a Bose home cinema system that has an iPhone 30 pins dock connector, and my carkit also uses that one. If I would want to keep use these systems, I'd have to buy 2 adaptors at 30$ a piece, which will add up if you need to transform all your old connectors..

What do you think about these reasons? Are they valid or will you buy the phone anyways?

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Those reasons aren't very compelling. And did you write that article? :confused:

3. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

i'm gonna go for it, since its a huge upgrade for me. i'm on the iphone 4. my wife's gonna give it a miss.
    but yeah, im pretty kicked about it! there's still a long wait though. im in dubai, so expecting a november release here... hopefully the jailbreak will be here by then as well as some sort of a fix for the maps.
    coming from the 4s, i dont really see a big reason to make the switch. better wait for the "S" series next year. i'd do that if i were u.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

9 pin connector is here to stay so you better not plan on updating ever.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

6. AustinIllini, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The reasons are all weak. The only really valid one is money, as you shouldn't buy a phone you can't afford. But that's an argument not to buy any phone.

7. divisionbuyzero macrumors member

divisionbuyzero

Those reasons aren't rational. If someone really feels that way then get an S3 and call it a day. Rational people however, wouldn't think like the author of that article.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Yeah, that is one of the worst articles I've ever read.

9. iThomas thread starter macrumors newbie

They also said that about the 30 pin connector?

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think those points are pretty weak as well. Here's what I'd say:

6 reasons to skip the iphone 5 if you have a 4S:

1) You are not eligible for upgrade yet. Hold out for the next model.
    2) New models tend to have bugs and production problems. iPhone 5 seems to have production issues like scuffs or other physical defects. iPhone 4 had the famous Antennagate, and the new phone seems to have some minor issues as well. Waiting for the next model, we might get some of these issues cleared up along with processor/camera upgrades.
    3) The taller screen isn't a deal-breaker. For those with smaller hands, it is tough to reach the upper part of the screen. Having a bigger screen is good, but not worth shelling out for an upgrade in my opinion.
    4) The 4S is still a great phone. I haven't noticed any slowing of the 4S and it's still as productive as day one. (and I have never used a case)
    5) Hold out for some better features like NFC and fingerprint security (they might be in the next model...might!)
    6) Nobody seems to have firmly confirmed that battery life is better than 4S.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I upgraded from the iPhone 4, and apart from the camera, in real terms in the UK (where LTE does not yet exist), the 5 is nice but is not radically different or radically better.

12. climber20 macrumors member

Or you could just keep your 4S docked to your Bose system, use it like an iPod touch, and keep it as a backup in case you wreck your newest phone.

Plus I'm sure you'll start seeing off-brand adapters pretty soon selling for $3 a piece.

13. iregret macrumors 6502

That article seriously reads like a 5th grade report on the iPhone 5.

All 5 reasons are silly.

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I'm going to assume you wrote this poorly written and thought out article since you are newbie and probably want to get more viewers to your site. Frankly only two of those are even valid:

1. Bigger screen - Are you kidding me? It isn't that much bigger. Not when you compare to top of the line Android phones which pretty much start at 4.3" and go to well over 5"! As for the app comment, probably half of my apps have already been updated with the exception of some of the games which, if they never update, really wouldn't be that big of a deal you just end up with small bars on the sides. Not a deal breaker.
    2. This one I will sort of agree with. While it is annoying, and I don't like it. Saying to skip the iPhone 5 as if the iPhone 5S will suddenly revert back is ludicrous. It's here. Start making plans.
    3. Ummm, the price is the same! At least in comparisons to the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and now iPhone 5. I don't remember what the original or the 3G's were, but all of the iPhones on Verizon have always been this price (and those are the only ones I care about).
    4. Seriously? This is stupid. Youtube removal? Just add the separate app. I needed to show a Youtube video this weekend, so I just downloaded the app and a minute later we were watching. As far as the Bluetooth, I haven't had a problem with any of my Bluetooth devices (Ford Sync, Bluetooth head set which rarely gets used, and bluetooth speakers). As for Passport, what? I opened passport for all of 2 seconds on the first day I got IOS installed on my 4S and haven't opened it since.
    5. This is the only other one I will sort of agree with. It would be nice from a possible future proofing, but frankly we don't know where NFC is going at this point so it could be like 3D televisions and flame out as quickly as it comes in. I expect this to be the big feature on the 5S.

----------

Already available on eBay, just no reviews yet to say if they work. They are coming.....

15. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

Since the 30 pin connector isn't coming back you'll never upgrade.

16. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Whoever wrote that article should never, ever write another one again.

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

"Valid points" OP ? No they are not valid. Goodness sakes. Dumb, dumb, and dumb again.

Who wrote this article ? Dumb article because those are the reason I want the iPhone 5. Next year the phone will be the same except some minor improvements, and perhaps NFC, and or fingerprint technology if Apple thinks it is necessary and or it has matured enough to offer it, and that's it.

18. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Only people complaining and wanting to "skip" every new iphone arent eligible for an upgrade, or refuse to pay for it. It's just that simple.

It's like "hey, I can't get it, so lets complain about it"

19. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

5 reasons why you can't skip the iPhone 5:

1. LTE
    2. LTE
    3. LTE
    4. LTE
    5. LTE

20. auero macrumors 65816

The only reason to skip the 5 should be if you can't get LTE (not available or not willing to switch providers), own a 4S or 3G/3GS now, or both.

21. Siggen macrumors 6502

I like some other in this thread want to comment on the reasons..

1. Bigger screen. I have about an average handsize, and its not uncomfortable for me, I have sold tons of phones as big as 5 inches, and I have let next to all customers hold the phone first (If they just don't barge in and says, that phone now), and phones much bigger than the new iPhone is comfortable enough for 12 year old girls. If this person really says its uncomfortable, it is this for him/her, not the rest of the world.

The phone has no problems running old screen ratio apps, and they don't look bad either. It has been released updates to the new screen size, faster than anyone did expect.

I love the iP5 screen size and ratio, I have it on my current phone too. And might get the iP5

2. New Dock connector. This is a blessing, the old dock connector. It sucks in the very beginning, then everybody was glad they took the shot at the nurse. It is much better and functional than the old one.

Then the motherfukcer states that no dock speakers will be made. And he *************s about plagiarism and stuff. Just skip this paragraph all together its just full of fail.

3. This might be a reason for a poor admin at polarfrogdigital.com, but it sure is up to each his own what I want to spend my money on. I just bought a 4000 dollar TV, I'm not rich, I just chose not to buy something else I didn't want as much. And saved up some money too.

4. Another paragraph full of lies. Yes some people minded the removal of Youtube, well go download the new official app from the App store, its much better and will be getting updates. The passbook will be great, and its not in the way for people who wont be using it, liar. Bluetooth lies too, ofc you can connect to things not made by apple.

5. NFC.... This is the only thing I cant say anything against. I want NFC in my next phone. I still might buy the iP5 anyways, its just like the TV I mentioned earlier, I wont have all the other fun stuff I didn't buy because I used the money on a TV instead. NFC isn't dead important yet either, its nice to have, the infrastructure around it isn't buildt out yet, even though early adopters can have fun with stuff. It is not by far a dealbreaker for me.

22. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I forgot about the headphone jack being on the bottom. This is a problem for cyclists who dock their iphones on their bikes.

23. TheRainKing, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

After seeing the iPhone 5 keynote and looking at all the review videos I actually really wanted one, but I went to a phone store earlier today and tested one out and I have to say, I wasn't really that impressed. It was actually a shock to me to see how boring it was. I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS and when I messed around with the iPhone 5, it actually felt like the EXACT same phone. Obviously the screen was bigger and it was much faster but I couldn't believe how much it felt like my iPhone 3GS. I thought to myself, ok if I upgraded to this phone, "how would I use it, and what would I get out of it?" and all I could think of was..

Text messages - Exactly the same on my iPhone 3GS

Phone calls - Same on my 3GS. Maybe calls are better quality but I really don't spend enough time on the phone to care.

Camera - I would enjoy the superior camera, but I already have a decent digital camera so its not enough incentive for me to upgrade.

Browsing the internet - The screen is bigger so I can see more content, but I really don't find myself craving for that on my current iPhone so I don't think I'll care much. Web pages will load faster but again, it doesn't bother me enough on my current iPhone for me to care. LTE download speed would be nice but because I live in an obscure town I wouldn't expect to get any coverage or decent speeds.

Navigation - I already have the new maps system on my 3GS and the coverage is terrible in my area. As for the 3D maps, well when I tested it on the iPhone 5 I found it to be just as useless as I expected. Who is really going to use that feature to find there way around? It's so much simpler looking at flat maps. So yeah I don't care for 3D maps.

Siri - I would use Siri if I had an iPhone that supports it, but from what I've heard it gets boring really quickly so I can live without it.

Apps/Games - I'm not much of an app user to be honest. I only have about 8 apps installed right now on my 3GS and they all run just fine as well, so I don't think the extra performance you get on the iPhone 5 would matter much to me.

Email - Same as on my iPhone 3GS

Weather - Same as on my iPhone 3GS

Reminders & Notes - Same as on my iPhone 3GS

Those are the only things I can think of that I do on my current iPhone. So as you can tell, I wouldn't really get many benefits from upgrading to an iPhone 5, and this is coming from a 3GS user lol..

Anyway, I don't want anyone to take my post the wrong way or anything. I'm not trying to bash the iPhone 5. This post surprised even me. When the iPhone 5 was first announced I really wanted one, but then when I finally got to use one I was suddenly aware of how much I didn't need it. I guess thats just the way it goes sometimes.

24. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This is apple's problem:

The Operating system is the phone - and it's the same darn thing each time out. It might be efficient, but it's boring, and we're getting over it. No customization, same boring colors, no personality.

25. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You should call up ATT, get your 3GS unlocked (you're off contract, right?) and move to a prepaid provider. Save a ton of money because ATT is still charging you as if you owed them money on a $650 phone (ATT rates don't get cheaper after you've paid off the phone subsidy).