5 VS 5s wifi. I tested last night. Why the bad results?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone5preorder, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I lay in my bed every night and morning surfing the web and watching videos on YouTube. After doing this for the last year, I've learned exactly how the videos usually buffer. Well, I finally for my 5s last night and I still have my 5.

I noticed right away that the 5s could barely load any videos. It takes about 10-15x the amount of time on my S then it does on the 5.

Nothing has changed at all in my place. The only thing that has changed is the phone. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love the 5s and plan to sell the 5 but I'm really disappointed in the wifi given how much time I spend using wifi, especially from my room.

There is no reason the S should be slower.

Thanks and sorry if this has been posted.

2. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I'd try to reset network settings and see if that helps.

I just ran speed.net test on wifi got 89mbps, dont remember the 5 getting more 75 when i had it. Lost it before ios7. Not sure if the 5 and the 5s use the same wifi card.

3. cynics macrumors G3

Download the speedtest app and see what the values are comparing the 5 to the 5S. Might be in issue with YouTube. I used to run into that quite often.

4. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I also think a reset of network settings will help.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Are they both on ios 7? When I upgraded my ipad to ios 7, my speeds were a lot slower until I reset the network settings.

7. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've just received my 5s today and immediately noticed that it takes a lot longer to find my wifi AP's at home and at work.

I setup as a new phone.

Once found and connected,signal seems fine so I'm guessing its a software issue

E.g if I lock my phone and leave for a while,it can take upto 20secs to find my wifi again

8. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both are ios7.

I will try resetting network settings when I get home and doing speed tests.

9. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

AntnyMikal

I have found something strange between my 4s & 5s. My 5s will get my wifi half way down my street my 4s wouldn't. My 4s would get signal in my back master bedroom/bathroom my 5s won't. My wife's 5c gets signal down the street and in the bathroom her 4 didn't. Idk maybe a update will change this or a couple hardware resets on both ends.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

The 4's were not capable of using the 5 GHZ band while the 5 is. I think the 4's were only to access b/g while the 5 and 5s can access b/g/n.

11. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

AntnyMikal

It's still weird that inside my 4s would get better signal than the 5s/c. My 5s doesn't even see my network inside at times. Not that big of a deal since LTE works good for me inside and out.

12. SR71 macrumors 68000

I've also noticed a degradation in wifi connectivity/throughput going from a 5 to a 5S. With my 5 I could connect to wifi from anywhere in my house (router is on the second floor, as are all the bedrooms)... In the basement, on the 2nd floor, on the first floor... Everywhere. On my 5S I can't even reliably connect from my bedroom that's just down the hall maybe 25-30 feet. Go down about 15 feet further into my parents room and my 5S doesn't even detect my wifi network at all. Very annoying.

13. wxman2003 Suspended

That's strange. I seem to get better connection on my 5s compared to 5. Although both are good with speed. Perhaps because I have the latest Apple TC.

14. Just Dave macrumors member

Can you guys check and see if the S is connecting to a 5ghz channel? That does not penetrate walls as well as 2.8. (assuming it can, don't have one)

Regards, Dave

15. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I got better wifi signal on my 4 than the new 5S. I'll try a network reset to see if it helps.

16. marddin macrumors 6502

OP, if you are still unsatisfied I will buy your iPhone 5S. :D

17. wxman2003 Suspended

I have my TC set up so that I can connect exclusively to 5GHZ or to 2.4 GHZ. My iphone 5s has no problem connecting to either throughout the house.

18. cynics macrumors G3

iPhone 4 and higher are compatible with wifi b/g/n.

And you are correct the iPhone 5 and higher are compatible with 2.4ghz and 5ghz. So that's gonna be the main difference.