5-year old Toshiba getting better wifi signal than brand new mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by St.Jimmy!, May 1, 2010.

1. St.Jimmy! macrumors newbie

So what's the deal with airport and wifi signal in the new macbook pro?

It's my first mac and I've been working hard to pay it. Yes, PAY it. And now, my 5-year old toshiba laptop gets a much better wifi signal than the brand new cutting-edge mbp. I'm assuming it's a hardware issue, so it's practically unfixable.

Anny thoughts or suggestions?

2. ipsg macrumors member

Dude, at least describe how it is better so that others can help you:)

3. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Your toshiba is more marinated. Just like chicken. Nada.

4. St.Jimmy! thread starter macrumors newbie

My toshiba (running Ubuntu) can see, connect, and navigate flawlessly on a network that my mbp doesn't even see.

Is that enough detail? Of course, placed on the exact same place.

5. Inside_line macrumors regular

Welcome to apple wireless... one of the few areas where it is consisently PC > :apple:

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Your MBP is made out of aluminum. Aluminum is quite excellent at dispersing wireless signals. Your Toshiba is, presumably, made out of plastic. Plastic is nearly invisible to wireless signals. Hence the difference.

7. St.Jimmy! thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I just find it seriously disappointing and even frustrating to pay $2000 for a cutting-edge laptop and not be able to establish connection with my own wifi network.

As I said, it's my first mac and I've already have had to order a replacement because it was way too slow. We'll see if the new one (I'm expecting it in about 3 days) works better...

8. shadygrove macrumors regular

my new i7 has no issues and works great. I get really fast speeds and just moved and won't get my internet setup until tuesday, but here I am leaching off the neighbor with 5 bars... I haven't had a single issue with this laptop.