5 years still going strong, any compelling reasons to upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Hello! I have a late 2013 rMBP 2.6/8/256

It’s running fine. Plenty fast for me, stable, and does everything I need.

I mainly use it for web browsing, YouTube, notes, pages, calendar, mail, and calculator.

I’m looking to buy a new toy for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone could come up with a good reason for me to upgrade?

I’d really love to get a new toy but am unable to find anything compelling about the new MacBook pros.

Touchbar is nice but...idk if that’s enough of a reason

2. mouthster macrumors regular

I have a 2014 15" rMBP. I thought I would eventually upgrade to the newer models. Then work issued me a 2017 15" TB and I am glad they did because my extreme distaste for the TouchBar is saving me money.

3. unglued, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

unglued macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat with a Late-2013 13" plenty fast and stable but it's time. Compelling reasons to upgrade going for bigger screens and faster performance to run latest macOS. The 2013 can't feed the high resolutions for today's tech.

Ordered a 2018 15" Vega 20 the 13" is too small but I only noticed it after I started using a 24" monitor lol. Also going into the 4K world (sort of 3440 x 1440) with two 34" curved monitors, I will still use the 24" monitor to have three. Going to sell the Late-2013 while it still holds some value to help pay for the new one.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I'd wait.

I'm still distrustful of the "butterfly" keyboards' reliability.
    And I don't care for how they "feel under the fingers", either.

5. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

how does that 13 inch compare to the size of the new 15 inch I always wondered

6. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

I would wait until you need a new computer. The longer you wait, the better the technology will be when you finally decide to buy.

7. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

you honestly wouldn't notice much of a difference wait for the newest generation of MB to come out

8. unglued, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

unglued macrumors 6502

I think it depends what you use it for. In my case I need to view and fit charts and graphs side by side and the 15” works better. And resolution wise it should be closer matching to my monitors but I think I will still use display adjustments apps to lock in window sizes. Going to the Apple store to compare both sizes helped before pulling the trigger to purchase.

9. unglued macrumors 6502

I received my new 2018 MacBook Pro yesterday and I’m very impressed how smooth it runs. I immediately wiped the drive and did a clean install and transferred data and performance is outstanding and launching apps are swift, I think the internal hardware components/engineering are top notch. Just to note I’m coming from a Late-2013 MacBook Pro.

The Touch ID caught me by surprise. Everytime I’m prompted to enter a password (screen saver, installing apps, etc.) it’s quick and convenient simply place your finger on the touch sensor. I never thought this feature would be so useful.

One thing to consider in your budget are accessories ie. dock, cables, adapters, etc., it’s a puzzle to figure out what you need. Cost me an extra $400 and I’m now considering AppleCare+ $379, but all worth it imo.

10. rMBP2013 macrumors member

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've a 13" rMBP late 2013 model. i5/8/512 SSD.

It's more than sufficient for my needs and I plan on keeping it until it literally stops functioning. The only negative is that battery life isn't as good as it used to be. I'd be lucky to get 4 hours of life out of it doing basic excel and some web-browsing.

Not to mention that the new ones don't have anything special. They got rid of the light-up apple sign, the charger doesn't show whether it's still charging or it's fully charged as there is no light, and they cheaped out on the keyboard WHILST removing valuable ports.

11. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Yeah I assume battery life on mine is bad too but I usually keep mine plugged in or use it on battery for no more than 2 hours at a time.

Interesting perspective on the MacBook pros. The dongle life is not something that interests me haha

12. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I am keeping my 2015 13" for at least another year. The quad core would be fun, but I don't need the extra horsepower and my current system is rock solid. No keyboard, T2 concerns. I really like the new one, but not for me.

13. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

Is there a big weight and size difference between the two ?

14. PeterJP macrumors 6502

PeterJP

The late 2013 13" is right in between the current 13" & 15" models. I have a late 2013 as well (13", i5,08/256). It weighs 1570gr, whereas the current models are 1370gr and 1820gr. They're a bit thinner, too, so the new 15" doesn't feel much bigger.

I was looking into the new models, expecting to have to buy one when I'll join a TV company early next year. But since the job won't involve any video, I'll stick to my late 2013, thank you. It's been serving me great. I wanted more storage when I had my own startup and I did do video work. And it refuses to stay properly in sleep, depleting the battery overnight in sleep. Aside from that, I'm hoping it'll last me until the butterfly keyboard & T2 bridge errors have been fixed.

Because you're not doing anything really intensive: stick with the late 2013 for 2 years or more, until Apple stops supporting it. That would be a good time to replace it. Hopefully, we'll also get the power improvements of Intel's 10nm process and hopefully, Intel also cleans up its heat pad issue by then.

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Do you know approx how many years Apple supports their MacBooks

16. PeterJP, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

PeterJP macrumors 6502

PeterJP

More than 6 years? I don't know if there is a general rule. In Mojave, Apple dropped support for some older macs, but the MBP. 2012 is still supported. Then therewas the early 2013, then our late 2013.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/04/macos-mojave-supported-macs/

That's of course software support, which I meant. Hardware support (will they fix it for you if you pay) is probably shorter.

Edit: just found info on the hardware support. Last summer, the 2012 MBPs (first retina models) became vintage. That means they won't be fixed by Apple or certified partners anymore. I would think our late 2013 model will become vintage in 2019 or 2020 latest.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/04/2012-retina-macbook-pro-vintage/

17. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Hardware support is 5 years after they're discontinued. 2013 MBP was discontinued in 2014, so probably they'll be supported until mid 2019 at the earliest.

However, the fact that the rMBP was manufactured for so long with so few changes (2012 is probably almost the same as 2015, which was sold until earlier this year) led Apple to extend support. Apple extended support for the 2012 rMBP for the time being.

18. shaunp macrumors 68000

If you can go into an Apple store and try out one of the one MBP's just to see what they are about as seeing something in the flesh is a lot different to anything you see online. Personally I don't like the new keyboards and I prefer standard function keys over the touch bar, but it's a personal preference.

If I were you however I'd stick with what you have as the new one's aren't much of an upgrade and have had their fair share of reliability issues. Often we only realise how good something was once we don't have it any longer.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I have a 2018 15 inch MBP, also have a 2015 MBP. The new MBP feels much more portable than the 2015. Visually not much of a difference except slight thickness, but I'm much more uncomfortable taking the 2015 MBP outside my home. 2013 is pretty much identical to the 2015 design.

The Touchbar isn't necessary, but I do use it and find it helpful.

I type much faster on the butterfly keyboard of the 2018 MBP. Didn't expect to like it, but it is a satisfying keyboard to type on.

Another thing I didn't expect to like is the 4(2 on each side) USB-C thunderbolt 3 ports. First is the ability to charge from either side which comes in handy. I also have a $35 adapter ...Satechi USB-C passthrough with 2 USB and SD/micro SD slots which I can also put on either side. I kind of like it better than the fixed ports.

For some strange reason, the display on my 2015 MBP look slightly better vs the 2018. I tried different color profile and did the white balance calibration, but still the 2015 seems calibrated better. Or maybe it's just me.

Basically you're not going to find a huge difference, but if you "want a new toy" as you said, I would go for it.

20. Beachguy macrumors 65816

Beachguy

My NEWEST Mac is a 2012 MBP- non-Retina. I still cannot justify to myself buying a new one. Am I tempted? Yes! But this MBP keeps on running great. No rush. Especially at these prices.

21. bearmaster1 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2013 MBP 13" 2.4 GHZ. It is still fast and stable but showing signs of age for me. Every once in a while it does not boot up correctly and I have to tap the bottom where the SSD is located. The external video cuts out for a minute every couple of days also.

For me, I would like to goto an external 4K or 5k Monitor for the crisper retina display. I would also benefit from the quad core processor in the new 13". The keyboard on the 2018 is a deal breaker though.

22. Flabasha macrumors regular

I just returned my i9 Vega 20. My maxed-out 2015 still performs well, and I bought an eGPU which gave me a 600% increase in graphics power, WAY beyond what I got from my 2018. Plus, the fan noise is nonexistent.

The only things I miss are the fingerprint-to-unlock, and the beautiful space-grey look. Oh, and to echo a previous poster, my 2015 monitor looked better than the 2018, which I found odd.

23. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I would stick with what you have until it stops meeting your needs.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---
    What model eGPU did you get ?

24. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Heh, I still use my 2009 17" macbook. I have 13" 2012, 2014, and 15" 2017 MBP and I still really enjoy the massive 17" beast.

25. 0014 macrumors 6502a

I have a early 2015 13" rMBP 2.9/8gb/512gb. I was looking to upgrade this year too, originally was going to get the new MBA. Then decided I would be paying £1400 for the exact same power I have now in a smaller body with the only real benefit being TouchID.

I can't stand the TB in the newer machines and think it is a gimmick that I hope will eventually die out. But unlikely given Apple's stubbornness once they introduce something. Although the lack of it in the new MBA and MB keep me hopeful. The butterfly keyboard doesn't bother me. I was actually hoping they would do something that stopped the keyboard from rubbing the AR coating off the screen, which mine has started doing on my current one.

I like the idea of the new 15" with the Vega 20. However I don't really want a 15" machine. I went from a 17' MBP (first one I ever bought) to a 15" and my last two have been 13".

At the moment there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade. I'm not too worried about the weight of the machine so that's never a real consideration for me. I will probably keep this machine now for the next 2-3yrs unless they bring something really significant out and mine stops supporting the latest OS.

Even the OS support alone wouldn't stop me upgrading. This MBP has never felt any quicker using Mojave than it did using Sierra or High Sierra. But I don't tax the machine that heavily. I can't see the next iteration doing much for my individual needs either.