50% Good News Is the Bad News in Russian Radio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 22, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ny times

alarming news here. and i wonder how long until some US media outlets start similar "more good news" programs.

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That would never happen, good news is not ratings news. There is a reason you don't hear stories about cute puppies.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Is this another sign of the return of the Soviet state? Good news/bad news there, the "good" news being a stability, of sorts, to the world stage, the "bad" news, of course, being the Soviets were the socipopathic children of Stalin.

Montana's looking better & better all the time. Not too late to start that dental floss crop...

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Except that this time around, putin a gloss on things is motivated by different reasons:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/6577129.stm

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What do we expect from a communist president? democracy? Looks like yet again the people of Russia want the the state to tell them how to live,what to think and what to do.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So he really isn't Dobby the house elf? :( Sigh...

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

How surprising... NOT. How many here wouldn't love to have the same situation in this country?

"Why don't the media report the positive news from Iraq" - recognize that whine? Yep, it's our authoritarians.

Folks, you can put a lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig. Communist or Nazi, the common thread is not the left/right dividing line - it is AUTHORITARIANISM.

Those who love "authority" will worship it - no matter what political system they find themselves in. If they happen to be in a communist country, they'll scream "communist fatherland" and attack critics. In Iran, they'll worhsip Ahmanidjad and attack his critics. In this country, they'll lick Bush's @$$ and attack critics.

Authoritarians - wherever you are, you are the scourge of this earth. If there were fewer authoritarians, nobody would listen to Hitler, to Stalin, to Pol Pot, to Mao, to the King, the Priest, the Dear Leader, Bush the Swine. Those "authority figures" would have no power, because they'd have no followers.

All those who question authority, those who are natural skeptics, those are the true freedom seekers. These who dared to question authority - the King - founded our country.

Those who believe that goverment should tell women what to do with their bodies, or tell people whom they are allowed to love and marry, or fight illegal and immoral wars - these are our enemies, these are the enemies of freedom, these are the authoritarians.

9. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Well, if it is true that nothing is good or bad and only thinking makes it so, then it could be argued that news is entirely inaccurate since it does mostly show problems. If the world is a neutral place that we place value on to make good or bad, then I suppose half and half of good and bad would truly be "balanced."

I mean, I'm not going to say anyone should be telling private news organizations what to do, but it doesn't hurt to take a walk on the sunny side of the street once in a while. My therapist once told me to give positive thoughts at least a fighting chance, even if I didn't believe them to at least let them have equal air time with negative self defeating thoughts. And it really is true that it's what we decide to think that makes all the difference. Unfortunately, being politically active, I've become addicted to reading the news very often, and when I get down at times, I force myself to take a break from it--and it really does change your outlook on life to go without reading the news for a week or so.....it's kind of a struggle though because I think you have to be informed to help the world--but of course someone like myself is heavy on the side of being informed while light on the side of actually putting into action what I know needs to be done based on what I see on the news.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But do you inform yourself with the lighter news or just the doom and gloom that gets reported the most. There is plenty of good news about the young person that helps the old lady across the street but nobody cares to report that and nobody wants to read it.

Im sure there are a lot of good things being done in Iraq but those don't make for good headlines on the news networks. News has become make money not about inform the public.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The difference in Russia is they don't want the bad reported, there is a difference from censorship and good reporting of the good things. Just because its a happy story doesn't mean the government if forcing it down our throats. I would rather see the good and the bad on the news. Im sure there are enough good people to fill a newscast with feel good stories.

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

"Why don't the media report good news from Iraq?"

and I know there's been a ton about the VT killer, but:

"Why don't the media report how Harvard had a safe day the same day that the VT killer was on his rampage! How about some good news from our schools!"

"All these news about the VT killing over and over again. Too much. We now switch to our balanced good news reporter at the UCLA campus: how's it going? Thank you - well, it's really safe here, good news. Good, good goody good news. Good news all around. No shooters. Not one. Halleluja. Over to you!"

Why is there no good news reported from Iraq? Why? Why? Fair and balanced! Good news, let's see... here's a puppy in the streets of Iraq, ain't he cute?! BOOOM! Oops, goodbye puppy.

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So all those schools we are building over there? Is that not good news?

If you want good news from schools how bout how the kids cleaning the park. its not all about school shootings. Good news is everywhere just nobody wants to talk about it.

The only way the Rutgers basketball team can make headlines is when something bad happens. What does that tell you about the media here.

I bet nobody even knew that Rutgers has a Women's team until Imus said something bad about it.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

are you suggesting a puff piece, or an actual, informative examination of the state of the iraqi schools? because in the end, i don't think the news will be classified as "good".

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Here you go, then:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,,1887804,00.html
    Better?

16. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Ha, ha, ha. That's rich. You couldn't have picked a worse example. There was a report two years ago about those schools we built. We gave sweetheart contracts to our corrupt corporate subcontractors who quickly erected empty buildings at enormous cost to the American taxpayer (overpaying insanely), buildings which when turned over to the Iraqis were UNUSABLE, with no indoor plumbing and electricity. Other times, the "schools" turned out to be empy warehouses which we hastily repainted (again, massive $$$ going into the right pockets<wink>), totally unsuitable as classrooms.

I posted a big article recently about the entire reconstruction effort in Iraq: in short, it's a big sham. Take a look - it's here in this section.

17. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

This is beyond funny. I urge people to read this. This is what passes for good news from Iraq??? Oh. My. God.

The last post there, is just a beauty. The entire defense of the Iraqi effort is right here, and I'll quote:

"With a combination of intelligence, patience and determination, General Petraeus can win in Baghdad."

That's it! No substantive evidence, no arguments supporting this assertion. Nothing. Just this empty statement. That's the extend of the good news from Iraq?! Beyond belief. Just beyond.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

19. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

from their own mission statement:
    i don't expect an organization with such a mission statement would paint anything but a rosy picture. an exercise left to the reader is to determine who runs that site and from where they get their funding.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Only someone who is unaware of the existence of Rutgers University has any excuse for not knowing that Rutgers would have a women's basketball team.

Either that or someone who willfully disbelieves that women's sports exist (or should).

Let me guess, which you are?

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well since I watch the Uconn Women, I was quite aware of Rutgers. I don't think many others are.

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Or that Duke had a men's lacrosse team?

Face it. Most folks care not one whit for college "sports". Myself included. It's not a crime, or a social deficiency. ;)

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

For those that would love to discuss the current state of affairs in the world (or at least their perception of it) vis-a-vis the popular media's reportage of those events, I recommend the folowing reading:

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-Mc...5994252?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177295616&sr=8-1.

It should add a bit of perspective to events, and how today's reporting criteria and public discourse might have affected events in another era.