50 million window blinds recalled due to FAILURE in US math education

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
The Consumer Product Safety Commission and the window blind industry are recalling virtually every Roman blind and roller shade on the market -- around 50 million sets -- because the cords pose a strangulation hazard to children...
Eight deaths are reported over the last ten years.

http://gizmodo.com/5427251/50-million-window-blinds-recalled-after-a-decade-of-strangling-children

Not saying these deaths are not sad, but those numbers are insignificant. Doing some probability calculation would result in finding that those small number of deaths are not completely the fault of the product makers. It's like plastic bag now has a print: strangulation risk.

More kids probably die due to natural weather. Do you recall the weather? Jeez, what a waste of money.

So many over-reacting fools... Ugh...

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
How disappointing. After seeing the title I thought (OK, I was hoping!) it would be story along the lines of the designs being in millimetres and the manufacturers mistakenly using inches or something.

colourfastt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2009
A recall based on a .000016% death rate? A prime example of the death of common sense in today's world.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If parent's stopped leaving children by windows unattended the amount of kids falling out of windows, or becoming part of the blinds drops.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
How disappointing. After seeing the title I thought (OK, I was hoping!) it would be story along the lines of the designs being in millimetres and the manufacturers mistakenly using inches or something.
Like the Stonehenge prop in Spinal Tap (but the other way around).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Doh! Sorry to get your hopes up.

FYI the fail is about risk assessment. How the not so smart people don't see the real value of the risk, which has extreme low probabilities.

Any object can kill, but at very low probabilities. Doesn't mean everything should be recalled.

The window blind thing is idiotic, but I wouldn't mind running into her in that same way....
Yeah I know. They should make it some kind of the amusement park ride. =)

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Eight deaths are reported over the last ten years.

http://gizmodo.com/5427251/50-million-window-blinds-recalled-after-a-decade-of-strangling-children

Not saying these deaths are not sad, but those numbers are insignificant. Doing some probability calculation would result in finding that those small number of deaths are not completely the fault of the product makers. It's like plastic bag now has a print: strangulation risk.

More kids probably die due to natural weather. Do you recall the weather? Jeez, what a waste of money.

So many over-reacting fools... Ugh...
"insignificant?" It's miniscule!!!!!!

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
Well actually no, because it gets longer when you roll it up completely. It gets down to the floor, but when the blind is down, it's about 1 meter high.
Ah, I see. As you can tell, I'm not really familiar with this type of blind.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Chuck Norris can kill people with a single rain drop. You going to recall the rain drop?

(Sorry about the wayyy over-used CN joke)

Seriously though this is stupid. I think the israelis shooting that MacBook makes more sense than this.

Yes death sucks but as stated before most things can cause a death. Eight deaths in 50 million sets. Really? One death = tragic, yes. But death happens and common sense needs to be applied.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So that's 8 child deaths, and 50,000,000 blinds recalled. Even if the cost of the recall averages out to only $10 per blind (legal costs, communication with vendors and customers, transport, handling), it would cost $62.5 million per death, and possibly jobs.

Nice job, America. Lives are only valuable when someone dies or gets hurt by accident, it seems.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
People are f***ing morons.

There are hundreds of things in the average house that can kill your baby. That's why you baby proof and keep an eye on your baby.

I don't have any numbers but I'd bet the numbers for this are considerably behind the number of babies killed by family pets, falling picture frames, tub or toilet drowning, etc.

Americans are trying to raise their kids in a no-risk environment, the negative effects of which are twofold: the kids don't learn how to deal with actual problems when their parents aren't there to help them, and there always has to be blame placed because in a risk-free world there cannot be a tragic accident, someone must be at fault.

Enough ranting, I'm writing an undergrad thesis on episodes of American fear and its political repercussions. :D

Silencio

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Enough ranting, I'm writing an undergrad thesis on episodes of American fear and its political repercussions. :D
Good lord, this is a topic deeper than the Mariana Trench. You'll need a wheelbarrow to carry that thesis when you're done with it!

colourfastt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2009
If parent's stopped leaving children by windows unattended the amount of kids falling out of windows, or becoming part of the blinds drops.
I hope this is a joke. I, like hundreds of thousands of kids in the 70s, was a what is now known as a 'latch-key kid' ... from the age of 8 onward I was at home from after school until after 6pm. We didn't die ... yes, some did stupid things .. afterall, that's how you learn. We certainly did NOT need to be tied to apron strings at all times.