50 million window blinds recalled due to FAILURE in US math education

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Consultant, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Eight deaths are reported over the last ten years.

http://gizmodo.com/5427251/50-million-window-blinds-recalled-after-a-decade-of-strangling-children

Not saying these deaths are not sad, but those numbers are insignificant. Doing some probability calculation would result in finding that those small number of deaths are not completely the fault of the product makers. It's like plastic bag now has a print: strangulation risk.

More kids probably die due to natural weather. Do you recall the weather? Jeez, what a waste of money.

So many over-reacting fools... Ugh...

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wow. That's ridiculous. Sucks for those companies and all the money they are going to lose.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

When will all cars be recalled?!?!?

Won't somebody think of the children!?!?!?

[​IMG]

4. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

How disappointing. After seeing the title I thought (OK, I was hoping!) it would be story along the lines of the designs being in millimetres and the manufacturers mistakenly using inches or something.

6. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

A recall based on a .000016% death rate? A prime example of the death of common sense in today's world.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I hate it when people argue that "even if it saves 1 life it is worth it."

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

If parent's stopped leaving children by windows unattended the amount of kids falling out of windows, or becoming part of the blinds drops.

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This makes no sense. Shakes head in amazement.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Like the Stonehenge prop in Spinal Tap (but the other way around).

13. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sure, but how many lawsuits would it take to bankrupt the company?

14. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Doh! Sorry to get your hopes up.

FYI the fail is about risk assessment. How the not so smart people don't see the real value of the risk, which has extreme low probabilities.

Any object can kill, but at very low probabilities. Doesn't mean everything should be recalled.

Yeah I know. They should make it some kind of the amusement park ride. =)

15. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

16. n8236 macrumors 65816

"insignificant?" It's miniscule!!!!!!

17. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't you just got the damn cord to a shorter length?

18. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Well actually no, because it gets longer when you roll it up completely. It gets down to the floor, but when the blind is down, it's about 1 meter high.

19. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see. As you can tell, I'm not really familiar with this type of blind.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Chuck Norris can kill people with a single rain drop. You going to recall the rain drop?

(Sorry about the wayyy over-used CN joke)

Seriously though this is stupid. I think the israelis shooting that MacBook makes more sense than this.

Yes death sucks but as stated before most things can cause a death. Eight deaths in 50 million sets. Really? One death = tragic, yes. But death happens and common sense needs to be applied.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So that's 8 child deaths, and 50,000,000 blinds recalled. Even if the cost of the recall averages out to only $10 per blind (legal costs, communication with vendors and customers, transport, handling), it would cost $62.5 million per death, and possibly jobs.

Nice job, America. Lives are only valuable when someone dies or gets hurt by accident, it seems.

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

People are f***ing morons.

There are hundreds of things in the average house that can kill your baby. That's why you baby proof and keep an eye on your baby.

I don't have any numbers but I'd bet the numbers for this are considerably behind the number of babies killed by family pets, falling picture frames, tub or toilet drowning, etc.

Americans are trying to raise their kids in a no-risk environment, the negative effects of which are twofold: the kids don't learn how to deal with actual problems when their parents aren't there to help them, and there always has to be blame placed because in a risk-free world there cannot be a tragic accident, someone must be at fault.

Enough ranting, I'm writing an undergrad thesis on episodes of American fear and its political repercussions. :D

23. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Good lord, this is a topic deeper than the Mariana Trench. You'll need a wheelbarrow to carry that thesis when you're done with it!

24. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I hope this is a joke. I, like hundreds of thousands of kids in the 70s, was a what is now known as a 'latch-key kid' ... from the age of 8 onward I was at home from after school until after 6pm. We didn't die ... yes, some did stupid things .. afterall, that's how you learn. We certainly did NOT need to be tied to apron strings at all times.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Must have been hard to learn about sarcasm, and irony, when you were all alone from 3-6 pm. ;)