Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i agree, ipods are just too damn expensive! yeah it's a freakin' sweet product and there really isn't much else out there that compares, but $500 for 40 gigs?! you might as well spend another hundred and get a damn nice, used ibook. i love my music just as much as anyone, but the cost to value ratio doesn't make much sense to me.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I've never heard anyone who has bought an iPod complain about the price. You have no idea how great these things are until you own one.

LoopHoles

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
Originally posted by chicagdan
I've never heard anyone who has bought an iPod complain about the price. You have no idea how great these things are until you own one.

well, then, start with me. the iPod is awesome. i paid $300 for a new 20 GB non-dockable ipod back in april (which means i'm missing out on a "feature" - on-the-go playlists - which should've been on there from the start). At the time, it was going for $400+ elsewhere, but still, $300 for a music player? it's too much! even if it's 20 GB, it works out to about $15/GB for a hard drive. what was i thinking when i had my credit card charged? i wasn't. yet, i kept the damn thing. can't help but use it everyday, either.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
No, not just for a hard drive, for an extremely compact, easily rechargable hard drive that can also perform most of the vital chores of a PDA. The straight comparison with a hard drive is absurd.

As for on the go playlists, I have it and have no idea how to use it.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Well to me it's like overkill. I dont want or need 2,500 songs, and that's the low end. Buying and iPod for me would be like buying an Dual G5, when I only need an iMac. Give me a smaller hard drive, that's all I ask.
Originally posted by chicagdan

Let me add a question while i'm at it. Who needs 10,000 songs on an MP3 player?

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
Originally posted by 1macker1
Let me add a question while i'm at it. Who needs 10,000 songs on an MP3 player?
Almost nobody. Let me ask you a question, though - who knows ahead of time, every time, which 50 of their 10,000 songs they want to listen to when all they have with them is their iPod?

-Richard

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
and if you don't want 10,000 songs, then you can back up tons of data as an external HD. I think 10 gigs (current low end) is not too much for most people when you consider music plus data.

once you own an ipod... well, let's just say you feel sorry for all the people who don't. :)

btw, loopholes, I can't believe you are complaining about $300 for a 20 gig ipod, especially one that you say you use every day! I don't own many things that I use every single day, and those that I do have are worth a great deal to me.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I can see your point, who knows what song they might want to hear at any given time, so why not carry around all of them. But isn't scrolling through 10,000 songs a hassle.
Originally posted by rjstanford
Almost nobody. Let me ask you a question, though - who knows ahead of time, every time, which 50 of their 10,000 songs they want to listen to when all they have with them is their iPod?

-Richard

Anyone has their 40G ipod maxed out with songs (not data)?

unfaded

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2002
Seattle, WA
I can see your point, who knows what song they might want to hear at any given time, so why not carry around all of them. But isn't scrolling through 10,000 songs a hassle.

Not when you can have playlists, and can browse by artits, album, genre, etc. There is only one or two ways I could actually scroll through all my songs on my iPod - my "All" Playlist or browsing by one of the "All" fields, which I only do when I want a random playlist of anything in my collection.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN

Anyone has their 40G ipod maxed out with songs (not data)?

My 20GB is full, and I have 30GB of tunes in iTunes, and I still have another 200 CDs to rip.

However, I don't feel I need a 40GB, as I listen on random, and want to only hear stuff I really like, rather than all the album tunes.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Man, I had to have ripped 60 CDs at 320 kbps and I only filled up my 40 gig to 14 gigs... I guess I'll just have to spend a grand on buying CDs... or use the rest for data storage.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I paid $500 for my 30GB iPod, and it was worth every single penny. I listen to it everyday when I take my dog out for a walk. I used my iPod as a virtual DJ whenever I have a party, and everyone just loves the random selection that it comes up with, no more "Hang the DJ" chants...

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
that is a pretty darn good Price, I almost bought one at the panther release party but realized that I need to eat this month too. For some crazy reason I choose being able to eat for a month over an iPod :(

Maybe X-mas :p?

Moapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
What gives. When I link to the Circuit City site I do not find a savings of $50. Am I missing something?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Moapple
What gives. When I link to the Circuit City site I do not find a savings of $50. Am I missing something?

Apparently the sale is over.

arn

Exlaxxboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2002
Heaven
I dont need a 40GB but I might if I get a bigger HD

I have a iMac Revision F I think

look at my profile and it wll tell you what kind of Computer I got, but thats not what I am here for I am here to say that if I had a Hard Drive that I could fit 40 GB of mp3s on to I would of already maxed it out partially because I am a music Freak but, everyone does bring up a good point $15 a GB I might as well just get a Flash Card Mp3 player and get 40 1GB flash cards prolly save about $10

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Still too much. How about a $200.00 5G model

How about a $100.00 5G model or $200.00 10G model, both with replaceable batteries:(

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by Mac Dummy
How about a $100.00 5G model or $200.00 10G model, both with replaceable batteries:(

Because Apple would lose money on them, that's why you don't see iPods for that price. Just because it has a 5GB hard drive in it instead of a 10GB drive doesn't mean that Apple's cost to manufacture it is now suddenly $100 less. I'm sure the wholesale cost for Apple would be almost the same on either a 5GB or 10GB drive these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.