$50 REWARD to anyone who fixes my Wi-Fi prob in next week.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by trevor1973, Apr 19, 2010.

1. trevor1973 macrumors newbie

I have added a second thread to the original one as I can't change the title of my original post.

Just had a major transplant and so bought Iphone to use at home - will be too ill to go anywhere for a while. Totally dependent on a Wi-Fi signal from router. It works on someone else's router. It failed with the WPA key so I turned privacy off and it still fails. It sees my router fine, and there is a tick beside it. But I can't get Wi-Fi in top left. Going to send back iPhone in about a week and cancel contract because I am GUTTED I can't use my iPhone. Hence my desperation. I will throw in something else with the $50 but that's a surprise :)

I have tried

Reset All Settings
    Reset Network Settings
    Forget My Network

I have a Netopia 2247
    Have Reset Router
    The ISP changed frequency
    I have Xbox Live - 2 Internet Radios and a Laptop all working fine.

IP Address 192.168.1.4 (How can I manually set up an IP just outside my DHCP IP range and what would one be?) another tip I saw - and also one about setting up a static address. And if I do how can I save that address as it seems to dissapear a few seconds if I enter anything)

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (which I changed it to after another forum recommended doing this)

Router and DNS both 192.168.1.254

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It might be an issue with the home router.
    Do your iphone connect to other wifis with no probs?

3. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You could start off with resetting the entire router to default settings and going from there.

EDIT: on second thought, check to make sure your router doesn't have MAC address filtering enabled. As this is exactly how it will act if you have it enabled.

5. trevor1973 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Filtering

Connects to 2 Internet Radio's - Xbox360 Live and Laptop.

did a reset and restart of modem. also don't have mad address filtering enabled - definitely a modem issue - I didn't realise till I have been doing all this research how common a problem it was for people with iPhones - plus other wi-fi issues like not finding a signal at all etc - plus how different routers could be so buggy with one person and then it working perfectly for another. My ISP are trying to get my modem changed now

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So you checked on the router for MAC address filtering? (This is different than the computer "macs")

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, sometimes switching the router will put an end to all problems.
    Theres certain routers that dont play well at all with iphones or ipod touches.