50 Years Ago Today, Began a 3-Hour Tour

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Sep 26, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For a break from the monotony of Bendgate, Bash, and all things political, it's time to take a break and escape with a little fun.

With that, most people didn't realize that today, 9/26/2014, is the day the world was graced with the weirdest idea for a comedy until Hogan's Heroes were cracking jokes at a German POW camp (which now that I think about it, while the show was funny, the situation really wasn't).

I'll let NPR finish the story here.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...t-50-a-goofy-show-from-a-time-of-tv-innocence

I didn't realize it was that 50 years ago, as I only saw it in repeats and the occasional oddball made-for-TV movie. But it does say a lot that it still holds up today, even if for the escapism.

Besides, while I love redheads.. damn, that Mary Ann. :eek: ;)

BL.

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well then, you may enjoy this Mary Ann montage...

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Me too. Always amazed me that they could build a radio from coconuts but couldn't fix the boat! LOL

Either or for me. They were both pretty hot!

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, but another vote for MaryAnn

6. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

7. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I grew up in the 60's. That being said, I loved this show along with many others during that period. BTW, Dawn Wells looks fantastic! It's hard to believe she's 75!.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Beat me to it!

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I hadn't realized it was 50 years ago this show aired. Loved watching the reruns as a child. Oh, and Maryann! :)

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There's a theory that Gilligan's Island was based on the seven deadly sins: http://www.gilligansisle.com/sins.html

12. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

Ha! Gotta squeeze in two for the Skipper...

Trivia time:
    Without looking it up, now, can anyone recall the Proffesor's name?
    (The character's name, not the actor)

How about the Skipper??

Bonus points if you can give the full name of each of the 7 characters.

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Sorry, can't help you.. still having trouble getting past Mary Ann! :D

BL.

14. b3av3r macrumors regular

b3av3r

Guess I'll be the first one to go for Ginger.

Redheads always get bonus points with me.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sometime back in the mid or late 1980s I stopped in at a small computer store in Green Valley, a tiny incorporated area between Bluefield and Princeton, W.Va., and was amazed to find that the store had an in and out basket for Bob Denver (Gilligan) sitting on the store's sales counter.

Seems that Denver was avid computer user, who liked to visit the store, check for new software releases and basically chat with fellow computer enthusiasts who might be in the store. The "out" basket had autographed photos that Bob had left for any fan that might want them and people could leave letters, cards, computer programs, and other "stuff" for Bob in his "in" basket.

I couldn't get the store manager to reveal if Denver was a Mac or PC guy. All he's say is that Bob "had more computer stuff than most people around here do." I stopped in the store a few more times after than, and although "Gilligan" was never there when I stopped in, his in/out basket was still there.

Denver and his family had bought property in the area sometime in the 1980s and built a home. Soon afterwards, Denver began making a few appearances during the local TV station's "weather reports", dressed up in full Gilligan costume. The weatherman and he would do a couple goofy comedy bits, when they'd both give the weather report. It was pretty surreal to watch, especially since the station would sometimes give viewers absolutely no clue that Gilligan was going to be showing up during their local forecast. Sometimes, the forecast would begin when Gilligan would come across in front of the forecast carrying a ladder, which he'd clumsily drop, etc.

Denver and his wife Dreama started a nonprofit FM radio station, 93.1 FM, "Little Buddy Radio", in Princeton, WV, that is still on the air and operated by the Denver Foundation, which was established in honor of their severely autistic son, Colin.

16. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Thanks to you all for reminding me of the days of yore when TV was a bit more innocent and fun.

It is interesting that Sherwood Schwartz will be best remembered for Gilligan's Island and Brady bunch rather than being a top writer for some of the top personalities on radio (Bob Hope etc.). Props to Sherwood for entering our homes with some good fun via the television.

17. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Ginger > Maryann. End of discussion.

P.S. —— wasn't Thurston Howell III, aka Jim Backus…. same guy as the voice of classic cartoon Mister Magoo?

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, he was. Apparently, you and Mr. Magoo share a prescription. :D

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Another vote for Maryann.

Wow that was so long ago..

I don't remember the Prof's name or the Skipper's name or if they even had a name.

I remember they could conjure up the most useful items yet never get off the Island.

And Mr. and Mrs. Howell brought enough stuff to last 7 years.

They got off the Island at the end though didn't they ?

Satan lost out.

:D

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Check out this pic of 1950s Ginger. Va-va-va- VOOM!

Attached Files: