50 Years Later

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Beeplance, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Adapted from NYTimes. Originally posted by Charles M. Blow on August 23rd, 2013.

Can you guys see the bigger picture/problem that he's attempting to drive at?

In the year 2013, I'll like to hear what you guys think about this societal problem that has been plaguing America for decades now.

2. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Instead of plunking something like this in the forum, without a position, why don't you take a stand and tell us what you think before we chime in? Are there or are there not societal race issues?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think blacks might misconstrue the fact that its harder to hit middle and upper middle class than its been in decades with racism.

Yeh you might be stuck in poverty, join the crowd.

4. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

As a person who lives in 'the south' racism is alive and well, although not nearly as prevalent as it used to be. That's not saying it still affects people of color everyday, but not as extremely as it used to.

I think success depends on the individual, although it is much easier to be successful if you are given help your whole life, from your parents and family, as well as society in general by being the default aka white.

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I just listened the the MLK's speech again in its entirety, and it still sounds relevant to me today. We got rid of mandatory segregation to have replaced with economic segregation in which the poor of all ethnicities – but particularity minorities – are walled off from the rest of society by the gates of rich communities, prison, high tuition fees, poor public services, and specifically poor education. It is as though the richest of society have labeled the poor as the problem, rather than poverty itself. Much the same is happening in the UK, where I very selfish me-first attitude seems to have gripped many of the people in England (but not so much in Scotland where I live :p).

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

How often do you get to the upper and middle class areas of East Lothian and hear how those people feel about poor areas of Glasgow's East End?

I lived in and around Edinburgh for about 2 years. The economic disparity and class discrimination in Scotland is just as pronounced as it is in Brooklyn.

That said, I absolutely love Scotland.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It seems to me that the author is dwelling on the negatives. It is true that those negatives exist and that American society is divided, however, I see this division as driven more by economics and wealth than by racial bias. Of course bias still exists, but we are making steps in the right direction, and while those steps may feel slow and tiny, they are moving us forward.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I haven't really heard much of the let-them-eat-cake mentality here in Fife, but then again I suppose there will always be pockets of people who look down on other people. Perhaps the people you meet in Edinburgh were English.... :p Seriously, though, the closest I have observed to that sort of thing are the elderly who complain about the young being scroungers, while at the same time enjoying their pensioner's benefits to the full (free bus rides, etc.).

9. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who lives in Glasgow, and I wouldn't say that there's obvious class discrimination. Perhaps it's because most people in the city are lower middle class or simply poor. I will say that there's a huge difference in the quality of neighbourhoods in the east end (poor) and west end (middle class).

Hilarious. Well done.