$500 Million waste - GOP fiscal responsibility?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Orlando Sentinel

2. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

More proof that they're all talk and no action.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sure the budget is littered with as many Democratic waste. This is why Congress won't get our fiscal house in order until something collapses.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- that's a given. But the Republicans are just as bad, if not worse.

6. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Except this is blatant waste in the face of the very campaign promises that got these people elected.

If there is some Democrat backed waste that is directly in opposition to major Democratic promises, point it out, and I'll scream until I'm blue in the face. I'm not aware of all the Democrat backed anti-healthcare, anti-wall st. reform, anti-immigration reform waste. Heck, the Democrats who opposed the major Democratic reforms were voted out of office (for the most part)!

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Evidence of Republican hypocrisy? What else is new. I will say this though, at least SOMETIMES they seem to care about the debt. Liberal Democrats never do. If you really care about fiscal conservatism (fiscal sanity) you'll never support the Democrat party, and you'll become part of the vocal minority of real conservatives and libertarians trying to hold the Republicans' feet to the fire and live up to the promises they made during the elections... to restore fiscal sanity to this nation, to draw down the scope of our government, to reduce entitlement programs, and to let more Americans keep the money they earn.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think this is more of a case of that it just happen to be in that guys district. If it was dem district I am willing to be it still would of been in there. Right with the 2011 budget not being passed is going to screw over where I live because there are some projects that are on hold until then. So we are going to loose more jobs than if it 2011 was passed.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Chuck Schumer- $9 million in stimulus funds to pave the main street in my town and put in those fancy faux red brick crosswalks. The street didn't have a single pot hole as it was paved less than 2 years ago.

10. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I call BullSh**! If you care about fiscal conservatism and fiscal sanity, you'll never support the Republican party. How many times do you have to be beaten over the head with history for you to finally open your eyes and see that the Democrats are ALWAYS more fiscally responsible than the cut tax and still spend republicans.

One more time I guess: PROOF

Did Mr. Schumer or the Democrats promise to reduce shovel ready infrastructure projects? Did they promise to eliminate every silly excessive construction project? If not, then it's not comparable. (My point is that Democrats ran on stimulus through infrastructure and construction as opposed to tax cuts for the wealthy and bank bailouts).

11. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

You can call it all you want, but the truth remains that the Republican Party is the only major political party that seems to even care. I'm willing to 100% grant you that the Republicans have just as bad of a spending history in the past 50 years as the Democrats (enough of the biased charts, we all know that the congress is even more important than the presidency when it comes to spending, and we all know that the chart based on control of the congress during those times looks very different). However, they are clearly the party of today that's focused on cutting spending and fixing the deficit. It's the very programs pushed by the Dems which are putting us into this mess. The Republicans get into trouble when they start voting like democrats (NCLB, senior prescription drug) and they are definitely huge spending hawks when it comes to National Defense, but beyond the hypocrisy no honest person can argue that the Democrats, more that Republicans, are the party of fiscal responsibility. Honest people would agree that the Tea Party is probably the biggest force for fiscal discipline in politics right now and their candidates are clearly looking to make a difference in the Republican party.

12. mcrain, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Biased charts? You can draw your own conclusions from the numbers, but that's as neutral a chart as you could possibly create. The only complaint I have is that the first year of each presidents term is attributed to them, when the governmental fiscal year is not the calendar year. (e.g. 2009 budget was passed into law in late 2008 prior to the election).

The fact that Republicans "seem" like they care about deficits and fiscal responsibility is hi-larious. The same people acting responsible today are the ones who supported the policies that got us into this mess. Today, their idea of fiscal responsibility is opposing all legislation and continuing the failed policies of the Bush administration.

What part of that is responsible? The tea party is like the drunk guy in the front row at a cheap strip club. They have fallen hook line and sinker for the glitter and bad lighting. I'm sorry, but the Republicans of today are the same old broken down skanks they were two years ago. I keep hoping they turn the lights back on and the people sober back up.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Bushes last budget is accounted to him though. There wasn't a 16% deficit before Lehman.

Well to be fair it doesn't mention who controlled congress at each point. I don't know how much difference that makes.