500 pounds for replacing ssd drive in my mac book pro retina 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thotwielder, Jun 7, 2014.

1. thotwielder macrumors newbie

Got some water into my macbook and it died. Went to mac shop in Covent Garden in london and they said the ssd damaged and needed to be replaced and the price was 375 pounds without tax, almost 500 pounds plus tax. Is this even reasonable? Because I saw most ssd 256 is below 150.

2. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Is this a late 2012 model or late 2013 model with the PCIe SSD?

I'm guessing it must be the late 2012 model, as the late 2013 should still be covered by the Apple warranty and you wouldn't be worried about the cost.

Yes the Apple SSDs are very expensive as they use their own unique physical interface and form factor, instead of going with a standard format such as mSATA. There are other choices for the late 2012 rMBP, if you have the right tools or a repairer who can carry out the job. OWC make replacement SSDs for the late 2012 rMBP and just recently Transcend has started offering replacement drives.

Of course if there is water damage, perhaps other things are damaged too. If the mac shop agreed to "fix everything" for that price, it might be worth considering.

3. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

500 pounds for replacing ssd drive in my mac book pro retina 13 inch

True, and you don't have to buy an SSD from Apple itself of course. But for a 100% Apple SSD, the price they offered you seems right to me, certainly if you spilled water on it.

4. thotwielder thread starter macrumors newbie

Water damage is not covered. It's a 2013 model. There are other cost, main board is damaged too. They asked 300 for that. So total is 800. Which is more than half the original price. This is insane.

Do you mean I can buy a replacement and repair myself? I have experience assembling pc in the past. This is my first mac.

5. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Late 2013 or something else.

Late 2013 rMBP's use a different connector so if you were to replace it yourself, you would need to find one from another late 2013 mac (rMBP, MBA or iMac.) These are hardly cheaper than $500.

If it is an early 2013, you're in luck. Their SSD's are abundant. I would suggest OWC's Aura SSD 480Gb. These range from $299-$399 depending if you want the Pro model or not.

Edit: Just realised you said £500. Even for the Late 2013 rMBP, you should be able to find an SSD cheaper than that.

6. thotwielder thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a late 2013 version. Too bad. My 4 year old think pad has water proof keyboard capability(not truly waterproof but enough to withstand a cup of water). Can't believe such an expensive device is so vulnerable to water damage. Thanks a lot anyway.

7. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

If you damaged the logic board then they need to replace not only the board itself but the CPU, Memory and Graphics because those components are all soldered to the motherboard.

They replace that whole thing as one part. The SSD is the only part that is detachable and can be replaced separately.

So when they are quoting you these large repair bills it is because they are pretty much replacing all the most expensive parts that you've damaged. Be thankful you didn't break the screen too.

Also I might recommend getting some 3rd party insurance against accidental damage after you get it repaired.