500GB Seagate Momentus 7200RPM worth the buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by morphalex, May 31, 2009.

1. morphalex macrumors member

I found the 500GB 7200RPM seagate momentus for 93 shipped, but is it worth the buy? How stable is it? I'm not worried about the increased sound, but what about vibrations?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

http://www.google.com/products?q=500GB+7200RPM+seagate+momentus

Looks like a pretty good price to me ;)

That model hasn't been out for too long, so user reviews may be hard to come by for now. Newegg and Amazon reviews are mostly positive, but there are some issues that people have been having. That being said, Seagate is a top tier HDD manufacturer IMO. Them and WD being my top two picks. Most people don't tend to have serious issues with 7200rpm drives and vibrations is you search around for other drives of that speed that people upgrade to.

3. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I love mine. totally worth it. if the room is quiet and you put your ear close to the palmrest, you can hear the drive spinning. Not an issue for me. No vibration, just make sure you install the drive correctly.

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Looks good to me. Seems like the problems have been fixed after the 1st batch was pulled.

I just upgraded my Macbook Pro to a 500GB 5400RPM drive in January, would it be worth getting the 7200RPM model or would the difference be negligible?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm very happy with my 500gig drive. No increased vibration, noise or heat. Its fast and I've not incurred any problems. Went in easily and has worked as advertised. Definitely a thumbs up

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Depends on what you mainly use your machine for. Unless you use your mac for disk intensive reads/writes you won't notice any difference. A faster drive needs a bit more juice from your battery as well.

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Day-to-day, the differences would be pretty minimal, unless you're doing tons of on-drive video encoding or something of the like. Personally, I'd take the mild battery savings over the rotational speed.

9. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

That's another thing I worry about. The battery life, how much worst is it? What about heat issues? Thanks all for the input

10. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I've had mine about 3 weeks now, I think, and I've got to say I love it. I've had no issues with it *knock on wood* and I appreciate the much needed space. I've noticed no difference in sound, vibration, heat, or anything else compared to the drive it shipped with (320G Hitachi @ 7200RPM). No change in battery consumption either, since I had a 7200RPM before; but I've played with a 5400RPM drive in it, too, and noticed no real difference in battery consumption there either.

Honestly, the only difference I can tell is that I have more space. I used SuperDuper to copy everything over to it and after I installed the new drive, it continues to work as flawlessly as it did before. I recommend it if you need the extra space like I did.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

heat is no greater, in my experience. and seagate claims that with the 7200.4, energy use is only .05% higher than with comparable 5400 rpm drives. I have not noticed my battery life suffering at all.

12. kierennyc macrumors regular

Where from? I'd definitely but it at that price. Can you share the link? Thanks

13. morphalex thread starter macrumors member

Found thru dell. I think the price is now 97. I didn't end up getting it since I really didn't need it right now but instead opted for 4gb ram for my aperture and photoshop uses.

14. mab75 macrumors newbie

Vibrations!

I just installed a Momentus 7200.4 500Gb in my early 2008 black MB. Initially, I had a lot of vibrations - but then I removed the drive again and squeezed some tissues in under the drive (not covering the vent hole). Almost all of the vibrations subsided! This does not feel like a permanent solution, any tips for a fix?
    Regs
    Martin