50s and 60s age range .... How do you or family member like the MBP (2018).

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
As the title says. Reason for asking is I'm thinking about getting my mother a 15 inch MBP for X-mas. Most likely the default setup of the 15 inch 512gb version at $2799.

She's currently using an ASUS Windows laptop that I bought her years ago, which had it's share of minor issues that I always had to fix for her. She never had anything Mac before.

And she's using an iPhone 8+ that I got her last year. It's one of the reasons why I thought about getting her a MBP.

So any pros and cons from the perceptive of someone in their 50s and 60s would be helpful. I'm about 90% sure I'll be getting her one, but just want some user input first.

BTW ... I thought about the MBA, but she doesn't have 20/20 vision and doesn't like laptops smaller than 15 inches of display. I'll probably get a MBA for myself though, or wait for the new regular MB lineup.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Using a mac is different than Windows. So if she does not like change it may take her a well to adapt. But that is more a function of expectations than age.

I am in that age range and everyday work on MacOS, Linux distros, and Windows. They are all just operating systems so it really is more of an issue with putting in the time and getting used to their eccentricities.

If her eyes are giving her trouble she should see an eye doctor. After your mid 30s your close vision starts going and you can have trouble focusing on a computer screen. It is presbyopia, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/presbyopia/symptoms-causes/syc-20363328. You need to get reading glasses, or better yet, computer glasses that are designed to focus at arm's length and a bit closer. With that said, a 15" will be easier on her eyes as long as she use "normal" sized fonts. Even my 20-something daughter does not use 13" laptops any more because of the eye strain.

And FWIW, I have the 2018 15" MBP with 512. I am very happy with it and the screen is easy on the eyes.

Reactions: Ma2k5

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Similar situation. Bought my mom a Mac mini in 2009 when she was 63 and she always had windows machines. She adjusted to it pretty easy with me going over things here and there. She still uses that same mini today. And she won’t let me get her a new one because she loves it too much. Yea, she hates windows now. :).

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Does she do any image/video/photo editing or content creation? Or does she simply do emails, document stuff, web surfing?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Using a mac is different than Windows. So if she does not like change it may take her a well to adapt. But that is more a function of expectations than age.
She adapts pretty well to change. The 8+ shes has was her first iPhone. Not much of a problem. She just had to get past Apple's non-standard way of doing things. I think she'll like how smooth the touchpad is.

If her eyes are giving her trouble she should see an eye doctor. After your mid 30s your close vision starts going and you can have trouble focusing on a computer screen. It is presbyopia, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/presbyopia/symptoms-causes/syc-20363328. You need to get reading glasses, or better yet, computer glasses that are designed to focus at arm's length and a bit closer. With that said, a 15" will be easier on her eyes as long as she use "normal" sized fonts. Even my 20-something daughter does not use 13" laptops any more because of the eye strain.
She's got her vision situation covered. She's been to the eye doctor, nothing serious. She refuses to wear prescription glasses though, but does use reading glasses. She never complained about eye strain from a laptop, tablet, or phone.

And FWIW, I have the 2018 15" MBP with 512. I am very happy with it and the screen is easy on the eyes.
That's good to hear. Thanks.

Similar situation. Bought my mom a Mac mini in 2009 when she was 63 and she always had windows machines. She adjusted to it pretty easy with me going over things here and there. She still uses that same mini today. And she won’t let me get her a new one because she loves it too much. Yea, she hates windows now. :).
I like both Windows and MacOS. But I hate Windows for my mother. Hopefully with a MBP, I'll get less calls to fix something.

Does she do any image/video/photo editing or content creation? Or does she simply do emails, document stuff, web surfing?
Not editing per se .... But more like heavy photo and video organizing(archiving), and basic light editing.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
She adapts pretty well to change. The 8+ shes has was her first iPhone. Not much of a problem. She just had to get past Apple's non-standard way of doing things. I think she'll like how smooth the touchpad is.

She's got her vision situation covered. She's been to the eye doctor, nothing serious. She refuses to wear prescription glasses though, but does use reading glasses. She never complained about eye strain from a laptop, tablet, or phone.

That's good to hear. Thanks.

I like both Windows and MacOS. But I hate Windows for my mother. Hopefully with a MBP, I'll get less calls to fix something.

Not editing per se .... But more like heavy photo and video organizing(archiving), and basic light editing.
Less calls is what worked for me when she got her mini. She never ever had any more issues. I think in the 9 years, she has had 5 issues? hehe.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Nope tried this on the wife. Got her a mbp and nothing but moans about size and macOS

So got her a rMB loved the size especially for travelling but still not happy

Stuck W10 on it and silence and just adjusted default scaling to 150x

Got her fully on iCloud and onedrive now bliss :)

SDColorado

Contributor
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If can definitely go either way. I converted my mother from Windows to Mac years ago and it went very smoothly and she loved the transition.

However I talked an associate who is in his mid-60’s into buying a Mac last year and he moans and groans about it and calls me all the time because he can’t figure out where the Mac put this or put that or how do you do this or that on a Mac.

He purchased an iPhone X last year and an Apple Watch this year and loves both of those, but hates the MBP and recently purchased a Lenovo desktop to replace it as his main computer.

Some people like change and adapt well, some don’t. Your mother may welcome the change or you may find she just prefers the Windows she already knows.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

matram

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Bought my wife her first MacBook two years ago. I am 65 she is 63.

No problems. All it took was a few sessions to explain what was different. She really loves her MB and whenever she has to use a PC in her project work she complains bitterly.

Reactions: The Samurai