50th Anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill's Funeral

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Jan 30, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Indeed. I'm proud to have share the Earth with this man for a little over one year.

Incidentally, Churchill was a fantastic writer. In retirement he wrote a small book, "Painting as a Pastime," that is absolutely brilliant.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Whatever about my misgivings about W. S. Churchill as a military leader (pretty disastrous, despite his own romantic notions about military stuff and deep delusions about his own limited talents as a military leader), about his skills of political leadership (which, to be frank, were quite variable, running the gamut all the way from brilliant to truly awful), his political courage (unmistakable, genuine and rare), I must admit that you are absolutely right when you say that Churchill was a master of prose. He was. The man could write - and quite brilliantly, too.

Actually, for some of our friends Across The Pond, I feel I must point them in the direction of an extraordinarily readable history he wrote on the American Civil War. I was astonished when I read it as a child - my late father was fascinated by the American Civil War - an interest I shared with him as a child, and this book was one of several on the topic on our shelves.

3. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

As a part of my fascination with history, is the study of wars. The Civil War for me was unique to say the least. When I retired from the Army, I lived and worked in and out of Virginia. I had a home outside of Vint Hill Farms and could sit on my back porch, and see the remainders of trench lines from the war. There was a number of times I would raise a beer to those past soldiers.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think think there's a lot of misunderstanding of Churchill..... Realistically he was the right leader at the right time for the British war machine, but by todays standards he was a xenophobe and mysogynist. During his career he cause the starvation of anywhere between 1-6 million benghalis and opposed autonomy for India. He was vocally supportive of the camps set up in Africa (which were essentially concentration camps), and also vocally supported using poison gas on "primitive people". During the Sidney street siege he personally stopped the fire brigade from putting out a fire, and instead let all the people inside burn alive.

Essentially he was a white supremacy imperialist, and whilst he gave a few good speeches within a few months during the war, the notion that he's a heroic war leader, who solely led britain to victory is very much misplaced. Infact the Allies definately wouldn't have won the war without the involvement of Russia and America..... And the Russians sacrificed so many people is arguable that they are the major reason for allied victory in WW2.

5. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Good riddance to the fat, ugly, two-faced, cheating, lying demon. He caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children and pain, anguish and bereavement for many millions more. Rot in hell forever, Churchill, you swine. (And this is only addressing ONE of his many crimes.)

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Churchill RIP. Like many strong leaders, you had your positives and negatives but shouldn't be painted with either as the only brush stroke.

7. Crocodoc macrumors member

He dead, bro. The war on drugs killed him. ;)

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

[​IMG]

9. Crocodoc macrumors member

Oi, my name's not Jim.

10. old-mac-man macrumors regular

Rather than let others form your opinion, I'd suggest taking the time to research the life of Winston Churchill, a complex human being that, like the rest of us, shouldn't be reduced to a few simple labels.

11. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Well said.