50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Landing

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by TheFluffyDuck, Jul 15, 2019.

1. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

Tomorrow marks the 50th anniversary since Apollo 11 launched to land people on the moon for the first time. The landing anniversary will be on Saturday. Anybody doing anything special for this event? Seems like nobody gives a damn anymore about old fashioned things like the human exploration of space.

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/apollo50th/

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I don't plan on doing anything, but I have fond memories of watching the landing as a kid. It was a watershed moment and one I am proud to say I saw.

3. tkukoc, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Tonight I plan to watch a documentary or two on the subject. I wasn't alive when this originally occurred but its definitely an extremely historical moment and one that should absolutely be celebrated.... it wasn't just important for America.. but for all mankind.

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    It definitely was a historic moment for the entire US (and the world)! I still remember feeling awed that such a thing was ever even possible and of course all of us were glued to our television sets at the time.

5. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

I plan to drink lots of Blue[1] Moon beer.

[1] "You got a bunch of guys here about to turn blue. We're breathing again."

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

An amazing experience. It is a shame that we haven’t been back since the Apollo program ended.

7. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

Moon landing is a false, fallacy farce. They never went to the moon. This is not a conspiracy theory, it is a fact. On the other hand, insisting that they did go to the moon is a conspiracy theory and if you subscribe to it, you've been duped. That is a fact too.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

LOL, ok
    Got any other fun facts to lay on us?

9. TallRed macrumors member

TallRed

You use the word “fact” a lot without actually posting facts. Why do you believe that Apollo 11 never went to the moon? What possible reason would anyone have had to have faked such a thing?

10. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This is what I was watching 50 years ago today. Watching a launch today, still excites me, but this one was special.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How many people would have been required to pull off this “hoax”? Hundreds if not thousands. Are you really saying that they have all kept the secret for 50 years?

“Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Let’s say the moon landing was faked. There was still a huge Saturn 5 rocket that launched into space. Seems like a lot to go through to stage a hoax. They could have built a much smaller rocket and said it went to the moon.

13. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Looks to me as though this VKD guy is trying to pull people's chains.....but more likely his own was pulled a long time ago and he really doesn't have a grasp on reality and historical events. No point in trying to argue with him and present evidence of actual occurrences........not going to convince him anyway. He's obviously living in some alternate reality. Too bad, too sad......

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, I think you are spot on.

15. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

So you may think. Even the hallowed BBC made a documentary and showed it widely on TV proving that it was all false, did you miss it? Sounds like you did.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2019 ---
    You didn't see the BBC documentary proving it was all false then? Shame.

16. TallRed macrumors member

TallRed

Post a link or it didn’t happen. And why are you not defending your own post?

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

18. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

We were out on the beach at New Smyrna watching when the rocket was launched and had a clear view across to Cape Canaveral. We could see, hear and feel everything. So exciting and privileged to be there!

19. TallRed macrumors member

TallRed

20. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Some others of my family and I watched Cronkite's TV presentation of the first lunar landing. We were sitting in a little farmhouse upstate here. My granddad was sitting in a rocking chair with my then 2yo nephew on his lap... and Grandpa kept saying "will you look at that... look at that..."

So then my granddad was talking about how exciting it had been for him as a child back in 1903 reading newspaper accounts of the Wright Brothers and how they had demo'd controlled flight of a powered aircraft down in North Carolina... and how he couldn't wait back then for a chance to see a real airplane land and take off again... and so remembering back to that, how this televised account of man setting foot on the Moon was even more amazing... and who knew when we'd maybe be able to set foot on Mars...

Well my little nephew must have been more than just casually impressed... he then talked all during his childhood about that moon landing and airplanes and NASA's plans for further exploration of space...and he grew up to become an aeronautical engineer.

Regarding conspiracy theorists who deny the lunar landings: I could joke now that my nephew must be so disappointed to hear that his whole life's been based on a hoax. The thing is, I did make that joke once to a local around here who thinks we've never set foot on the Moon. The joke fell flat. The woman --who knew my nephew as a peer in her grade school days-- nodded solemnly after I paused for her to laugh, and then she said something about how yeah it really is sad when people get sucked into believing a hoax, it can ruin their life, and "He shoulda stuck to hill farming..."

Wow. Just wow!!!

21. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

Look on the bright side. Normally, you've got to work out if the person you are speaking to is an idiot. Conspiracy theorists advertise this upfront.

[​IMG]

22. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Hah, the Louis Armstrong reference is a good one and not that implausible for a YouTube comment. Both Louis and Neil would probably ROFL. If you can't laugh, might as well hang it up...

23. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

I am defending; my orig post was based on BBC docu proof. Here is a likely link, check this out:

24. TallRed macrumors member

TallRed

25. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Nice try. "Likely link" was a clue... and that is not a BBC docu. One of the comments suggests it was created by the notorious conspiracy theorists Mary Bennett and David Percy. Have a nice day.