513 illegal immigrants found In two tractor-trailers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Simgar988, May 18, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Article found here.

Can you imagine. Someone with tractor-trailer measurements should calculate how much space each had. This is pretty terrible, I'm surprised no one died.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

7000*513 = $3,591,000 :eek:

The tractor trailer size is likely to be 53ft (16.14m) by 8.6ft (2.62m) giving an area of 456 sqft, two trailors means the area goes up to 911 sqft (86.4 sq m).

With 513 people that gives a floorspace of only 1.78 sqft (0.17 sq m) per person

How would you fit those people in:

Lying down:

The average mexican is 5ft 5 1⁄2in (1.670m)
    Taking the average width of (range is between 16-26 according to here) 20in (0.508m)
    Area of an average mexican = 9.1 sqft or 0.85sq m

Therefore assuming no room around each person lying down and only one layer you could fit 101 people in the tractors.

Of course you wouldn't want them lying down due to the space wasted in that configuration.

Standing Up:
    Taking the average width of 20in (0.508m)
    Ground space used is therefore only 2.18 sq ft (0.20 sqm)

Therefore you could fit 426 people.

If they all had only 16in shoulders there would be plenty of room in comparision as you could fit 664 people in. Taking the other end with 26in people you could only fit 247 people.

The maximum average width of the people is just 18in (46cm) in order to fit 513 people in.

3. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

And 0 of the 513 were Mexican.

Rather, they were from El Salvador, Ecuador, China, Japan, Guatemala, India, Nepal, Honduras and the Dominican Republic.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Opps skimmed the link :eek: The average height only applies to the lying down calculation anyway.

5. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

The federaL DOT has been trying for years now to allow Mexican trucks to come into the U.S. They want to do this for a couple reasons, the main one being to drive down driver pay in an industry where driver pay hasn't changed in 10 years.

On the day Obama (Bush was for it too) gave a speech about starting up the program again a truck was stopped just after crossing the border. The driver did not have CDL or medical certificate, the truck had several major safety violations and there was over a million dollars in drugs in the truck.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

[​IMG]

Anyone else notice the big shoes and how on an x-ray they all look like they are wearing white-face? Coincidence? I think not...

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

And pew!... ;)

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well, one refreshing thing about this, they are still in Mexico, and not a burden on the U.S.A. :cool:

9. 184550 Guest

Ain't that the truth.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Didn't you read?

As the OP stated, 0 of the 513 were Mexican

They were from El Salvador, Ecuador, China, Japan, Guatemala, India, Nepal, Honduras and the Dominican Republic, still, nonetheless, less burden

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

1. If they could pay $7,000 each to get smuggled in, it stands to reason they could afford to wait in line going through legal channels.

2. Do we have x-ray machines at our border? If so, why not?

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

But they may still be in Mexico.

13. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

This post makes me want to play tetris

14. 184550 Guest

I guess he didn't read. :p

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Guess I didn't :eek:

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Have you ever either looked at US visa requirements or talked to someone who tried to get a visa? It's practically impossible, and I'll give you a hint coming from a lot of third world countries that $7000 is a lot less than the amount the US requires you to have in your bank account to get a visa.

If we want to avoid inncidents like this in the future, we have to make it easier to get into the US legally, there is always going to be a demand for cheap labor and if people can't legally fill it they will come illegally.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

If I look here, I see a lot of fees that are significantly less than $7,000. And I really can't imagine why someone with no skills or education would have a hard time securing legal permission to live and work here.

The hilarity of it all is that Mexico has much tougher immigration laws than we do. Tougher than Arizona, actually. Had this case not made international headlines, the Mexican government would probably be prosecuting them as felons.

Unemployment right now is somewhere around 15%, maybe higher. We're full up on dishwashers and maids.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's not that they have to pay that much, they just have to have around $20000 sitting in the bank to prove that they will come back home when their visa is done. This information is based on talking to friends from eastern Europe and Africa, it may be different for other countries. I also know someone that was turned down for a visa because they had family living in the US legally so the consular officials decided they wouldn't return home.

And if you are concerned about immigrants taking your jobs, then go here and get a job. The jobs they take are the ones americans don't want to do.

So if you want to prevent things like this from happening make it easier for workers to come temporarily do those jobs and then go home. They will come either way, the question is is it better for them to come legally or illegally like this?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, that's it isn't it? The people who come illegally are often from the middle (such as it exists in Central America) and lower-classes, who despite their education and skill-set can make good money by working in the United States.
    They don't go through the process because it's an expensive waste of time to get into a market.

The hilarity of it all is that Mexico has much tougher immigration laws than we do. Tougher than Arizona, actually...

Well, this only seems ironic if you consider it a Mexican problem, when as the article noted the truck carried a combination of peoples from Central America and Asia.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center—seems to have the best numbers around—Mexicans make up about 57 percent of unauthorized migrants.

The Center for Immigration Studies thinks the number is closer to 70 percent.

Maybe, but the perception among those coming here is that jobs are still available and many of these people will be able to make a better life, either for themselves in the United States or for their families through remittances.

I tend to think that jobs are available, but that most Americans can't afford to work minimum wage and still support a household, and many aren't willing to do the work any way.

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Great. Do I get to choose which of our laws I should be allowed to disregard without punishment too, based on the subjective conclusion that obeying them is an expensive waste of time?

And I wouldn't call it good money. Illegal immigrants tend to come from the bottom end of their societies, and when they get here, they tend to stay at the bottom of ours, too. I've posted about this in other immigration threads, with links IIRC.

Yes, and they were caught in Mexico, which was the basis of what I found hilarious. They have no problem shipping us as many of their peasant class as possible, yet as soon as someone tries to cross their border, this happens. Hilarious, and decidedly hypocritical.

And that perception will likely continue until actual enforcement starts happening, which sadly won't happen so long as the upper classes keep demanding cheap maids and gardeners.

I've been out of work for six months now. I'd love one of those jobs Americans won't do.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

But I like my cheap gardeners :( Who the hell else will trim the bushes in front of my house into balls that look like the jackson five for such a low price?

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then get one of them. I posted this link an an earlier response to you, but here it is again. http://www.takeourjobs.org/
    That website was set up by the United Farm Workers, which is the union for farm workers to help people like you who are here legally and want the jobs that illegals are taking. So if you really want one of those jobs you can get it, it will be hard work and low pay though.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If 12 million people aren't following a law it's probably worth wondering why, most people from Latin America don't think they can become citizens, nor do they want to, but they do want to work in the United States.

Good money compared to what's available in their country of origin. The daily minimum in Mexico is 57.46 pesos or $4.95. A job that pays a dollar a hour, which is criminally low in the United States, is still nearly double that wage.

Finding hypocrisy in the Mexican government's view of immigration is low-hanging fruit, I guess. You're right, they don't want out-of-work Guatemalans pouring through their state, but they love remittances from the United States. Economically speaking it's perfectly reasonable.

Not to mention cheap food, the Department of Labor notes that of the 2.5 million farm workers, 52 percent are undocumented. A 2006 Arizona Republic article even noted that without immigrant labor, crops in Yuma would remain in the fields.

I hope everyone's ready to pay the real price for strawberries, lettuce, and dozens of other crops.

We see the same thing in home construction, some manufacturing, etc. Small groups of immigrant labor who work for cheap because it's still more than wages in their home countries.

That sucks, and I hesitate to say it, but have you applied to be a lettuce picker in Salinas, Calif.? Or maybe you could work for Monsanto to detassel corn in Ind.? Maybe you could make t-shirts in Los Angeles for American Apparel?
    Migrant workers are willing to move for low-pay and few benefits, but most Americans aren't willing nor are able to do the same thing.

24. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

So, now it is the gov. of Mexico the one sending illegals to the US?

Same could be turned around. The US keeps saying they won't allow illegals, but yet every illegal who reaches the US gets a job from an American. Hypocrites.:rolleyes: