5400 or 7200 rpm HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wiehazy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. wiehazy macrumors newbie

Hey guys :)
    i need some help with a descision. im going to buy the mbp 2012 and dont know if it is worth to spend extra 50$ for the 7200 rpm HDD? What would you say? Does anyone notice a difference? Every experience would help me a lot :)
    thx

2. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

save the money and put it towards an ssd. although if you do go with the 7200 it would be nice to keep in an optibay if you dont mind losing the odd when you get an ssd.

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Well, a 7200rpm drive will be a tiny bit faster, but it will also be slightly noisier, increase temperatures of the mac slightly and decrease your overall battery time slightly.

If none of these are a problem for you and you'd rather have it that tiny bit faster then sure, go for it. Though 5400rpm should be fine. The question nowadays is more Hard drive vs SSD. Thats where the real speed increase comes, along with better battery life and no noise at all!

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

SSD all the way, platter drives are just too slow

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

after second thought im changing my recommendation back. get the 5400 and save for an ssd. the difference wont be worth the sounds and heat if it is a second drive anyways

6. wiehazy thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick answers :)
    im looking for a ssd to put it in the optical drive... so the 7200 doesnt really matter because i use the superdrive for storage of my files, not for the os and programs. am i right with this?

7. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

you would use the superdrive slot to place a second harddrive (your original one in this case). depending on the size of your ssd, you can just use the hdd as a place for extra storage of large files like movies

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There is not much of a difference between 5400 and 7200 RPM drives. There are slight differences of course, but not much that you would notice in everyday use. I would just go with the 5400 and go straight to SSD when you feel the need to upgrade.

9. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you are planning on an SSD as well, then I'd just go for the 5400rpm

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed who can wait 40 seconds for a computer to boot, especially when you have to boot never.

SSD are the biggest rip off, I bet as little as 10% of SSD users actually rep the true benifits of them

11. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

to answer your question OP, I had 250 GB 5400 RPM in my MBP I put in a 320GB 7200 and also upgraded the ram, now the latter probably is what caused the MBP to run real smooth, but I can probably contribute some of that to the 7200 HD, it's quieter ( at least I think so ) than the 5400 they cost around the same so why not go for the 7200 if your'e not going with an SSD

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yeah, once you use an SSD for high end professional usage you will see that you are dead wrong.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Saying that platter/spinning drives are slow is subjective I suppose but it doesn't have much validity in my opinion. RPM drives are still solid performers, I have been using a 5400 drive in my Mac for a while and the computer starts up fast and applications like Photoshop open up in a few "bounces" the first time on a cold boot up, and instantly once it is recognized by the memory. I've also gamed on the same machine for a while and the games themselves boot up fast and I was more than likely within the first few players to load into a map/zone on a consistent basis, which to my knowledge directly relates to the speed of your hard drive.

They aren't slow, SSDs are just fast.

14. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

You could not be more wrong, the benefit of with an SSD when using VM's is so good, the speed efficiency between the Mac and the VM's especially when I have multiple running for various test applications.

Just moving files is such a relief with an SSD also the harddrive is generally the biggest bottleneck for computers these days by switching to SSD's that possible delay between actions is generally taken away, please do some research before making such a statement again.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well i guess you fall in the 10% that does see a benifit

some people say things like "fast boot time" as a benifit thats hogwash if you can wait 40 seconds considering your really never need to boot that often

also if your a casual user that only plays music, movies and view pictures there is barely a difference in speed opening those files

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

For casual useage you won't see a huge difference. I personally max out my ram everyday and go into GBs of page outs. My rMBP keeps running smooth.

17. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

ssd.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's not just bootup times. It's not even so much about the read speeds - it's the latencies that make the difference. On my main PC I went from a Raid 5 that could consistently read at about 450MB/s to an SSD that read at closer to 300MB/s... but the system still feels significantly more responsive.

You really should try one before writing them off.

19. BigMoo macrumors member

+1

20. wiehazy thread starter macrumors newbie

soo ive read all that and have to comment.
    first, its a fact that the ssds are faster, but it really depends for what ure using your mac for... when im start ps on the rmbp (which
    i had until yesterday) its like popping up in 2 sek, on the usual hdd it will take about 8... sooner or later i will build in a ssd of course... and i think i will save the 50$ for the ssd!
    anyways, thanks for all opinions!

21. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

the lack of moving parts doesnt hurt either