5400 RPM SSHD (8 GB SSD) vs 7400 RPM HDD? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by M.Rizk, Aug 20, 2016.

1. M.Rizk macrumors regular

M.Rizk

So the idiot inside me got mad and hit my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 a big strong causing an HDD failure and I can no longer boot into it with disk utility (based on installation USB) says SMART error on HDD and that it needs to get replaced.

Which do you think will be better for me? A 5400 RPM SSHD with 8 GB SSD portion, or a 7400 RPM HDD?

My usage:
    Basic browsing using Safari
    Streaming to YouTube Live / Facebook Live using Wirecast
    Watching videos at 720, 1080 and 2K
    Playing Star Craft II

2. KALLT macrumors 601

The benefit of a hybrid disk is that important files can be loaded onto the solid-state part of the disk to improve the overall performance, i.e. reducing bottlenecks. 8 GB is very low though and may not give you a noticeable difference.

Have you considered an SSD instead? The performance benefits over a hard disk are tremendous.

3. M.Rizk thread starter macrumors regular

M.Rizk

Who wouldn't want to get an SSD but I just wouldn't justify the cost for a mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I keep the SSDs for my desktop PC instead.

Who knows how long this MacBook Pro will stay with me anyways, I am expecting to do an upgrade by next year so I really don't want to invest much on it.

4. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I put a 250G ssd in my 2010 MacBook last year. It was like a new computer.
    I'd recommend a ssd for your 2012 ...

5. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

If you don't need much space you can always buy a low price SSD from a respected brand, you obviously wont get a lot of space depending on how much you spend but it wont break the bank and will improve the speeds of your computer. I have found 256 GB SSD's from the likes of Samsung that cost no more than a high end 1TB 2.5" HDD, now some might argue that it's a quarter of the space for the same price, but its also 4X faster.

6. satcomer, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well look at this video:

I say replace the drive with an SSD and consider get a two bay or better NAS for your iTunes Music or video projects that take up space!

7. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

I did the same with my Macbook 2010, maxed out the RAM to 16 GB...New Computer!

8. shiekh macrumors member

Given you hit it, you really want a solid state drive and not a spinning one

9. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

I put a 1TB SSD into a 15" 2011 MBP, it made a gigantic difference in performance (as did bumping memory up from 4GB to 16GB)